Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Finally!

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:38 PM
  • 6 Replies
1 mom liked this

Dh got a raise starting on his last paycheck. It's wonderful news! We'd been barely scraping by, and now we should be able to put $100-200 a month into savings depending on our electric bill. I'm finally kicking my own ass and really going to stick to a budget.  First thing we did was get rid of our home phone (I'm sad, but we don't NEED it). However I can't get rid of the number, so we transferred it to my cell phone #. Unfortunately DH had to change his too, but it'll be good. If we're going to be in AL for the rest of our lives, we might as well get local numbers. We'll be saving around $40 a month with that. I'm also going to try to talk my cable company into making our internet the $19.95 promo they keep advertising. I've been a loyal, on-time paying customer for well over 3 years, I think I deserve a discount, LOL.

I'm also going to take out our grocery budget in cash. This will be new for me, but it'll force me to stick to my budget. Gas we'll use our cards, but only because the price we spend varies so much, and no where around here has a cash discount anymore. (Plus I'd hate to get the kids out of the car to go in and pay cash). We're taking the remainder of our refund and paying off our cards completely.Then I'll just pay off the balance each month, just putting gas on it. I'll rack up my points and boost my credit back up (I took a hit last fall for a bill I was unaware of).

But anyway, it feels good knowing we'll finally be in the black and be able to start saving again! Our savings isn't in our "comfort zone" anymore - but we both feel it's more important to get rid of our debt and get back on track.

Sorry it's so long, I just am very excited and want to shout it to the world, lol!

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
starbeck96
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:08 PM

That's great! 

I really need to try to make a budget and stick to it also.  Our problem is that my husband is self employed in drywall.  We never know what his income will be from one month to the next.

lyrick24
by Melissa on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:25 PM

congrats!

smile357
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:36 PM

congrats on the raise and I wish you well in your budgeting.

nmaxwell816
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:43 PM

That's awesome

chrissysnow22
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:22 AM
That is awesome!! It's very exciting. I just got a raise also so we anticipate our savings will go up and debt all the way down.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matreshka
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Nice! Raises are great.  Congrats to your DH.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)