Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Delicate topic: what do you use during 'that time of the month'?

Posted by on May. 1, 2012 at 8:02 AM
  • 40 Replies

I was wondering, since this is a group focusing on resourcefulness, does anyone else use a cup? Tampons and pads are costly over time, and in 1997 my sister told me about 'The Keeper', which was the first menstrual cup on the market at the time. I bought one (for $35 then) and used it till I gave birth to my dd in 2003. Then I bought the second size (they have pre and post childbirth sizes). The new one was a Diva cup, made from medical grade silicone. The Diva cup cost me $50 (Canadian). I still use it.

Persoanlly, I love mine. I carry it in my purse the week I'm expecting my cycle (in it's carry pouch). It never leaks, no garbage to toss (hubby loves that part), no running to the store in a panic, and I only empty once in the morning and once at night. AT the end of each cycle I soak it in a vinegar/water solution to clean/disinfect it, and it's ready for the next time. Freakin BRILLIANT.

I understand that this is a very personal topic, but relevant all the same. I started adding up how much money I would have spent on tampons all these years and realized it was over $1,300. I was curious to know if anyone else had a) heard of them, and b) was using one.

by on May. 1, 2012 at 8:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
starbeck96
by on May. 1, 2012 at 8:45 AM
1 mom liked this

No, I've never heard of one.  I don't know that I could get used to that..lol.

I use pads.  I love Stayfree and I spend about 2.80 each.   Sometimes, they have B1G1F coupons for them.  I generally use one per cycle. 

chrissysnow22
by on May. 1, 2012 at 8:48 AM
1 mom liked this
I love my diva cup!!! I also use mama cloth as back up.

It has saved me tons, I used to go through a pack of pads and half a box of rampons each month.
I paid $20 for my diva cup in the US
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zombimomma
by on May. 1, 2012 at 8:50 AM

$20??!! Wow, glad I live in the U.S. now. Everything is so much more expensive up there. That's an even better savings!

AzariahsMother
by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:03 AM
I used pads for years and now use tampons.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AzariahsMother
by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:04 AM
Never heard of this cup
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matreshka
by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:29 AM

The diva cup hurt me, irritating my insides.  I use heavy duty maxi pads ever since I gave birth to LO.  I can't use tampons anymore because my flow is so heavy.

chrisnjoesmom
by Adrienne on May. 1, 2012 at 9:32 AM

I use Always Infinity pads on heavy days and Stayfree w wings on my lighter days cause they are cheaper

cookinmommyof1
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2012 at 9:35 AM
I use stayfree pads. They are better than always imo because they don't feel like a wet trash bag. I don't use tampons because I don't like harpooning myself with wadded up dry cotton. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chinosruca
by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this
I will always use pads & or tampons. I am all for recycle/reuse.....but not in this case.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chrissysnow22
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Really? What size did you use?
I love mine because it's so much more comfortable than a tampon or even a disposable pad. Plus it holds so much that I don't have to worry so much about accidents.

Quoting matreshka:

The diva cup hurt me, irritating my insides.  I use heavy duty maxi pads ever since I gave birth to LO.  I can't use tampons anymore because my flow is so heavy.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)