Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Delicate topic: what do you use during 'that time of the month'?

Posted by   + Show Post

I was wondering, since this is a group focusing on resourcefulness, does anyone else use a cup? Tampons and pads are costly over time, and in 1997 my sister told me about 'The Keeper', which was the first menstrual cup on the market at the time. I bought one (for $35 then) and used it till I gave birth to my dd in 2003. Then I bought the second size (they have pre and post childbirth sizes). The new one was a Diva cup, made from medical grade silicone. The Diva cup cost me $50 (Canadian). I still use it.

Persoanlly, I love mine. I carry it in my purse the week I'm expecting my cycle (in it's carry pouch). It never leaks, no garbage to toss (hubby loves that part), no running to the store in a panic, and I only empty once in the morning and once at night. AT the end of each cycle I soak it in a vinegar/water solution to clean/disinfect it, and it's ready for the next time. Freakin BRILLIANT.

I understand that this is a very personal topic, but relevant all the same. I started adding up how much money I would have spent on tampons all these years and realized it was over $1,300. I was curious to know if anyone else had a) heard of them, and b) was using one.

by on May. 1, 2012 at 8:02 AM
Replies (31-40):
DawnPratt23
by Dawn on May. 2, 2012 at 1:50 PM
Since my last csection/tubal aunt flow is evil to me. To heavy and unpredictable to try the cup, plus I'm real small, most that irritated, have to wear heavy flow overnights and still have accidents.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
redneckmama4
by on May. 2, 2012 at 3:44 PM

I use mama cloth:o)

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, then loved for who I'm not"-Montgomery Gentry

Life and Times of a Redneck Woman 

Do you swag:O)

AspensMama1537
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2012 at 8:43 PM
I love always infinity pads. I am curious about the diva cup. I have never used tampons tho, so using a cup seems like a big jump.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VintageWife
by Member on May. 2, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Mama cloth and can't believe I missed out all these years! Could have been saving soooooo much money!

ballerina.2006
by Member on May. 2, 2012 at 8:51 PM
Tampons right now. I just bought softcup (I think). I tried one and didn't care for it (didnt seal.. user error I'm sure). I'll try those again in a couple weeks when my period is back. If I get the hang of those, since they are dirt cheap, I'll buy a diva cup.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rachelrothchild
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:16 PM
2 moms liked this

I use mama cloth.  I don't like stuff I have to stick up there.

Ametrine
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:43 PM

I know they are not cheap or "environmentally friendly" per-se...

Playtex Gentle Glide is my choice.

MommaLis5
by on May. 3, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Since my last csection/tubal aunt flow is evil to me. To heavy and unpredictable to try the cup, plus I'm real small, most that irritated, have to wear heavy flow overnights and still have accidents.

I feel your pain.  Has anyone here with an "Evil" or "Wicked" flow tried the diva cups?  I'm intrigued by the not having to buy stuff every month part but kinda afaid my cup might *ahem* runith over.

**edit** And what's this mama cloth everyone is mentioning?  (Cause I KNOW it can't be what I'm thinking cause NO ONE can be THAT frugal lmao)

--Insanity is hereditary.  You get it from your children.family in the van

tazmidgiefairy
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2012 at 5:51 PM
I get what on sale most of the time I get statfree pads
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
corinthians81
by on May. 3, 2012 at 6:00 PM

This ^^ lol=) not sure that I could get used to it either.lol..O-o.& I ‚ô•stayfree too,but I can't find my kind anymore.I like the scented 1's,lately have been buying the walgreens 1 which is sposed2be compared2stayfree....interesting though(=

Quoting starbeck96:

No, I've never heard of one.  I don't know that I could get used to that..lol.

I use pads.  I love Stayfree and I spend about 2.80 each.   Sometimes, they have B1G1F coupons for them.  I generally use one per cycle. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)