Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

You CAN Save for the Future When You're Struggling to Make Ends Meet (Really!) Do you have a savings account for your family?

Posted by on May. 1, 2012 at 6:54 PM
  • 5 Replies

You CAN Save for the Future When You're Struggling to Make Ends Meet (Really!)

Posted by Jacqueline Burt on May 1, 2012 
Click Here!

piggy bankIt's the financial equivalent of being stuck between a rock and a hard place: How can you build your family's savings when you're barely making ends meet as it is? Or when you're struggling to get out of debt?

Theoretically I should have two college funds going right now, one for each of my kids ... but I figure it's probably more important that they're fed and clothed in the meantime.

(The electric bill is a priority too, as I can't imagine doing homework by candlelight would do much for their academic future, either.)

If you're like me and getting your family's finances under control feels like an overwhelming, if not impossible, task -- take heart. And take one step at a time. 

Here are a few easy ways to get started ...

1. Get in the habit of tracking your household spending. Most of us think we know how much we spend every day/week/month ... but take a look at your bank and credit card statements and you might be surprised. For a real eye-opener, try jotting down every dollar you spend for a week (and what you spent it on). Unnecessary spending patterns will be super-obvious! Don't beat yourself up -- make small changes based on your observations and you'll be amazed at the difference.

2. Scout out secret savings. Pull out all those monthly bills -- Internet, phone, auto insurance -- and call that customer service number. You might not know this (I didn't until recently), but simply asking for a better rate can actually GET you a better rate. It's true! (Sneaky tip: If the service rep doesn't offer to extend any new customer deals or promotions, mention that you're thinking of switching to a different company. It really works!)

3. Update your 401(k) contribution rate. Again, if you're like me, you probably did the auto-enroll thing when you started working with your company. Problem is, your rate is probably too low to get the maximum match. Ask someone in HR to help you switch to the qualifying rate.

See, none of those tips are too terrifying, right?

Do you have a savings account for your family? Any advice to share?

by on May. 1, 2012 at 6:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
lillucky8
by Jen on May. 1, 2012 at 7:00 PM
We do, i have auto transfer from checking to savings three times a week for $25 so i dont have to think.about it or make excuses not to do it, if we have extra past that it goes towards the credit bill or oil
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on May. 1, 2012 at 7:03 PM
I do. I'm doing better transferring more to it. I started of small. Now I'm doing $25 a week.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
queenbree545
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:44 AM

I always pay my savings account first, like it's another bill.  I'll add to it as I can during the month. 

matreshka
by Valerie on May. 2, 2012 at 10:40 AM

We do not at this time have a savings account but we have a lot of cushion in our checking account.  I am honestly afraid to move some of that cushion out because I am worried about unplanned expenses.

My Dh has a pension which is awesome and I keep a good monthly budget that allows us some treats.

princess_1983
by Member on May. 2, 2012 at 12:38 PM
We have a savings account but it keeps getting used to pay bills.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)