Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Cheap Tipper Who Left 2 Cents Makes a Great Point - Do you still tip even when you think the service was bad?

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:27 PM
  • 17 Replies

Cheap Tipper Who Left 2 Cents Makes a Great Point

Posted by Adriana Velez on May 2, 2012 

my 2 centsThere are some awfully mean tippers out there -- like the jerk who left nothing but a note saying "you could stand to lose a few pounds."

And now here's the scolding "my 2 cents" tipper. This is a customer who left a handwritten lecture and two pennies as a tip. The note got posted to Reddit:

Waitressing 101. Don't tell every customer you're very busy, to excuse your lack of serving skills. Your job is to attend to us, not make us feel like we're an inconvenience. A little bit of personal attention goes a long way in the form of a tip. Just my 2 cents.

Now obviously this was an obnoxious thing to do. If a server tells you they're busy, it's probably because they're beyond the point of just busy and have reached the OMG We're Way Understaffed Desperation Zone. It happens -- management is cutting corners and not hiring enough waitstaff. Or you get slammed with more customers than usual. Or people call in sick at the last minute. And maybe this was just a way for a harried server to let her table know why they weren't getting the service she thought they deserved.

It's also important to remember that servers' wages are on the low side because restaurant owners know they're getting tips.

But the mean tipper has a point.

Maybe tips are for people who know how to finesse a bad situation, not just manage it. A restaurant should be very busy. And as just about any server will tell you, half of the job is learning the art of soothing impatient customers. It's about smiling, making people feel welcome, saying, "I'll be right with you, so sorry to make you wait" instead of "Phew, I'm so busy!" Even in the worst circumstances. That's how you get that little extra sugar from your customers: By pouring a whole lot on them.

Anyway, clearly the server on the other end of this "tip" was angry -- probably too angry to pick up on any lesson. No one likes a lecture. But just because the messenger is a jerk doesn't mean their message can't still be valuable. Taking in this customer's "2 cents" could make the server a lot more money in the future.

Do you still tip even when you think the service was bad?

by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chrissysnow22
by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:38 PM
1 mom liked this
I do. I have been in the customer service industry my whole life, and now i manage a restaurant soI understand how stressful of a job it can be to cater to so many different people so I am very easy to serve.

I take a different approach o bad service. While I may leave a note I still leave a good tip. I think it's more effect to be kind than to be rude.

As a young African American woman there have been a few occasions when I have gotten less than stellar service because my age and race has been labeled as "bad tippers" in those instances I give a great tip and get their eye contact before leaving with a smile. The moral of the story you can't judge a book by its cover.

I always leave a tip. Everyone deserves a little grace.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on May. 2, 2012 at 10:19 PM
Yes I always tip
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rebeccasmly
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Yes I always tip

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Williams13
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not giving someone money who doesn't deserve it.

You want a big tip?  You work for it then.

mamabearlehman
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2012 at 10:29 PM
I always tip. I was a waitress up until I was 7 months preggo. I know what service should be like and how hard it can be. All I ask is that you keep my drink full. Not a hard job. If I get bad service, I still tip, but not as much as I would have. I also can tell when someone is new and cut them a little slack. I just can't stand the lazy waitresses or the ones that would rather text than make money.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Allebas
by Member on May. 2, 2012 at 10:30 PM

There was this one time when we did NOT TIP!!!! We had this IDIOT who LITERALLY was into spending his time at eye-level with this other customers HUGE BOOBS that were in a top that was about 6 sizes TOO SMALL for her!!!!!! I even looked at my watch to see how LONG he spent staring at her boobs while she yapped her gums for him!!! It was 15 MINUTES!!!!! YEP!!!! FINALLY, one of the other servers went over to him and let him KNOW his "OTHER" guests were NEEDING more water, were ready to order etc!!!! THEN--after he got finished serving THOSE customers, there he was RIGHT BACK staring at those damn BOOBS again!!!!!! We were kitty-corner across from her table, and I could see EVERYTHING from where I was sitting!!!! It took EVERYTHING in me to keep from going over to him, and saying, "HEY!! Why don't ya just ASK her if ya can suck on the THINGS??? I KNOW that is what you wanna do!!!!!!" GRRRRRR!!! DH and I were SOOOO PISSED OFF, that we took their comment card and I filled it out letting the Owners KNOW the servers name and EXACTLY what he was up to on the clock!!! I got a letter back apologizing for his HORRIBLE behavior. I was told that the server was talked to about the incident, and that he understood if this happened again, he would be let go. I was assured that they had NEVER had any complaints about this individual before, and that they were surprised to hear he acted this way. They also included a Gift Card so my DH and I could come back on THEIR dime!!  :  ) 

EmilyMarshall
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:38 PM
Yes I always tip

dietsunkist
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:51 PM
I have always tipped but if I get crappy service I don't tip well at all. Ie worked in the food industry since I was 16 & there were many days that even when I busted my ass & was complimented the entire time I didn't even get tipped. I've always had to work my ass off to get tipped & I still delivered food ASAP, took care of drinks, handled bills quickly, even if I knew a customer didnt tip. If you don't care enough about your job to take care of customers I'm not tipping well. A restaurant being busy is one thing; an empty restaurant with a disappearing waiter/ess who only shows up for the bill is another.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chichiwvu
by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:12 AM
This is me too. I like my drink to be filled within a reasonable amount of time, and not to wait for forever for my bill. I rarely get super horrible service, but even then I tip- just like 10% (I tip 18% for normal and 20%+ for excellent service). I know how hard it is, and I know what they make without tips.

Quoting mamabearlehman:

I always tip. I was a waitress up until I was 7 months preggo. I know what service should be like and how hard it can be. All I ask is that you keep my drink full. Not a hard job. If I get bad service, I still tip, but not as much as I would have. I also can tell when someone is new and cut them a little slack. I just can't stand the lazy waitresses or the ones that would rather text than make money.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2aspclboy
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 8:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Same here, although I was never a waitress, my brother was a waiter for many years, so I know how it can be. 

Quoting mamabearlehman:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN