Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Should I Buy It Without Trying It On First?

Posted by on May. 5, 2012 at 9:36 AM
  • 28 Replies

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Beaded-Lace-Spaghetti-Strap-Gown-M8824_Bridal-Gowns-Sale

I fell in love with this gown a few days ago and it just so happens to be on sale for $99 right now. My SO has made hints three times this week that its happening soon, we even unofficially picked a date (August 10). So I'm not necessarily worried about jinxing, I already got invitations and flower girl dresses LOL

I measured myself and I know my size however the bust will be a bit large (by like 2.5in) and the hips will be about an inch too large. And likely quite long. I fear, alterations are innevitable (and the cost is intimidating). And that's a big reason why buying this online scares me, I can't try it on first. I've called all the stores and nobody has this dress available to try on. The satin line under the bust might fall in the wrong place on me.

And I can't find a clear cut answer online as to whether the dress is fully refundable if it doesn't work out.

What do you lovely ladies think?

by on May. 5, 2012 at 9:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on May. 5, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Edit: I just read the return policy and I can return it via mail

pinkjimmies06
by on May. 5, 2012 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this
Almost any wedding dress you buy will need some alterations unless you get lucky with an off the rack dress. If they order it from the store they always order them big and alter them down to fit exactly. I'd call David's and ask how much alterations are.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on May. 5, 2012 at 9:44 AM

They have measurements listed for the sizes, its an off the rack dress. So I know the only place it won't fit right is up top.

Alterations at DB are INSANE and I would definitely go elsewhere for that, if need be

Quoting pinkjimmies06:

Almost any wedding dress you buy will need some alterations unless you get lucky with an off the rack dress. If they order it from the store they always order them big and alter them down to fit exactly. I'd call David's and ask how much alterations are.

chrissysnow22
by on May. 5, 2012 at 9:45 AM
That is pretty. 9 times out of 10 you have to alter your wedding dress.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on May. 5, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Quoting chrissysnow22:

I know, I just don't want to have to alter it SOOO much that I may as well have gone with a different dress completely ya know?

chrissysnow22
by on May. 5, 2012 at 9:55 AM
Yes. Do you love the dress? If so get it.
See if you can find a local alteration shop.

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Quoting chrissysnow22:

I know, I just don't want to have to alter it SOOO much that I may as well have gone with a different dress completely ya know?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on May. 5, 2012 at 10:04 AM

I do love the dress. Its the only one that had most of the elements I was searching for, within my price range, and in my size. I kept finding something I'd love b ut it didn't come in my size, or it didn't have a train or it was $5000 lol. It just scares me to buy my WEDDING DRESS without having tried it on first or even touched it. Though, if I order it now it has time to arrive before the sale ends so I can return it and pick a different dress.

I know of a couple of local seamstresses, one who's daughter I went to high school with (she did my alterations on my bridesmaid dress years ago) but  I just don't know how much they'll charge or what a reasonable price would be

Quoting chrissysnow22:

Yes. Do you love the dress? If so get it.
See if you can find a local alteration shop.

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Quoting chrissysnow22:

lyrick24
by Melissa on May. 5, 2012 at 10:12 AM

i wouldnt buy it. i would look for the sales in a local store. google wedding dresses in your area and you should come up with something.

KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on May. 5, 2012 at 10:14 AM

I did. Everything I'm finding is boutiques. I can't afford those prices. Aside from that, there are places for prom dresses but I won't feel like a bride, ya know?

Quoting lyrick24:

i wouldnt buy it. i would look for the sales in a local store. google wedding dresses in your area and you should come up with something.

DawnPratt23
by Dawn on May. 5, 2012 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this
It's a nice dress, and their return policy is a good one. Give it a shot, Dresses look different online than in real life. The dress I wanted didn't look good at all when I got it, the one I hadn't considered was the one I fell in love with.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)