Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Do you meal plan?

Posted by on May. 6, 2012 at 2:54 AM
  • 29 Replies
What is on your menu this week? How far in advance do you plan?
by on May. 6, 2012 at 2:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hanab818
by on May. 6, 2012 at 9:53 AM

yes. i do a week at a time. i match it up wtih my weekly circulars. it makes life so much easier to say i know whats for dinner tonight then to stand in front of the fridge around dinner time thinking umm what am i going to make today.

lyrick24
by Melissa on May. 6, 2012 at 1:45 PM

i do to a degree. i plan out the list for the week but my daughter goes to the store and gets the groceries and sometimes she doesnt exactly stick to the menu if she sees something else she would like. sometimes we dont always fix a big meal in the evenings and well just grab something out of the cabinet so my groceries end up lasting longer than what i had planned for. i always have soups in the cabinet, so sometimes its soup and peanut butter sandwiches for supper.

shay0810
by on May. 6, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Quoting lyrick24:

i do to a degree. i plan out the list for the week but my daughter goes to the store and gets the groceries and sometimes she doesnt exactly stick to the menu if she sees something else she would like. sometimes we dont always fix a big meal in the evenings and well just grab something out of the cabinet so my groceries end up lasting longer than what i had planned for. i always have soups in the cabinet, so sometimes its soup and peanut butter sandwiches for supper.

Wish I could do that! The kids would be fine with it, but dh refuses to eat any soup except chili....

chrissysnow22
by on May. 6, 2012 at 5:14 PM
I do a week at a time I'm thinking of doing 2 weeks at a time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lovemygirlz07
by on May. 6, 2012 at 5:20 PM
I have done months at a time ... It was great cause than we wèrent eating the same things. And when it went on sale I bought all I needed for the month. But I'm behind on cutting my coupons so I've been doing a
Week ahead. Usually I've bought enough for the next week I still need only a few
Things
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
queenbree545
by on May. 6, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Quoting Lovemygirlz07:

I have done months at a time ... It was great cause than we wèrent eating the same things. And when it went on sale I bought all I needed for the month. But I'm behind on cutting my coupons so I've been doing a
Week ahead. Usually I've bought enough for the next week I still need only a few
Things

How do you plan months at a time?  I'm thinking about fresh produce:  do you just buy what you need?

queenbree545
by on May. 6, 2012 at 6:57 PM

I don't do much cooking so I don't plan

Lovemygirlz07
by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:41 PM
I'm sorry I meant a month at a time. I get my recipe cards out. Ask everyone to pick some of their favorite meals. Than I go thru the stockpile for sides and such. I make an itemized list, so of chicken goes on sale I know how many to grab. I used to spend $225 a week at Walmart just buying a weeks worth of groceries. I shop at dillons (which is Kroger) and with my coupons I have cut our bill in half (sometimes more) and
I have an entire closet of food, laundry and
Bath items. I've learned when the sale cycle comes to stock up. I haver bought cereal for more than $1.25, snacks for more than $1, condiments are usually under a $1 or free. Most bath necessities are under $1 or
Free.
And good toilet paper and towels large packs under $5. And I donate to the food pantry when I can. When you shop the same store you learn their prices...just hold out and the sale will come and you stock up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
a_and_j_momma
by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:43 PM
Quoting chrissysnow22:

I do a week at a time I'm thinking of doing 2 weeks at a time.

I am trying to be better about it. I get on moods where nothing sounds good

a_and_j_momma
by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:45 PM
Quoting Lovemygirlz07:

I'm sorry I meant a month at a time. I get my recipe cards out. Ask everyone to pick some of their favorite meals. Than I go thru the stockpile for sides and such. I make an itemized list, so of chicken goes on sale I know how many to grab. I used to spend $225 a week at Walmart just buying a weeks worth of groceries. I shop at dillons (which is Kroger) and with my coupons I have cut our bill in half (sometimes more) and
I have an entire closet of food, laundry and
Bath items. I've learned when the sale cycle comes to stock up. I haver bought cereal for more than $1.25, snacks for more than $1, condiments are usually under a $1 or free. Most bath necessities are under $1 or
Free.
And good toilet paper and towels large packs under $5. And I donate to the food pantry when I can. When you shop the same store you learn their prices...just hold out and the sale will come and you stock up.

Maybe I should start writing down recipes. I dont use recipes when I cook so meal planning has aways been hard for me. I rarely cook the same meal more than twice lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)