Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Raising the rent?

Posted by on May. 7, 2012 at 7:44 AM
  • 27 Replies

What should be the conditions under which a landlord raises rent?

by on May. 7, 2012 at 7:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CreziaMommyTo2
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:15 AM

cost in rise of his bills.  if he owns a house and his gas price went up, he needs to suppliment that, so raise your rent.  if mainting the property he owns cost say $5000 in 2011 and in 2012 it costs $6000 then raise the rent. i think tenents get away with way to much and the law is on their side sometimes for all the wrong reasons... and yes i was a renter... did the whole rental thing for 10 years

queenbree545
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:49 AM

I raise the rent on my properties when

1.  maintenance costs go up (think inflation)

2.  housing value goes up

3.  property taxes go up (as a result of #2)

a_and_j_momma
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:27 AM
Every year my mortgage increases from home owners insurance rising. Sometimes taxes and HOA dues. If that happened and i had a rental, i would raise the rent
chichiwvu
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Ditto this. I'd add on demand for the property increases, or any renovations are done to the apartment (new cabinets in the kitchen, etc). Also, if a tenant is blatantly mistreating the property, landlords will raise rent to "influence" them out or get money for the damages (beyond a security deposit).  I think rent can only be raised when a lease is up.

Quoting queenbree545:

mom2aspclboy
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Yep, all of what these gals wrote. 

Quoting chichiwvu:

Ditto this. I'd add on demand for the property increases, or any renovations are done to the apartment (new cabinets in the kitchen, etc). Also, if a tenant is blatantly mistreating the property, landlords will raise rent to "influence" them out or get money for the damages (beyond a security deposit).  I think rent can only be raised when a lease is up.

Quoting queenbree545:

KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on May. 7, 2012 at 2:02 PM
I am terrified that our landlord will raise our rent. We will move ASAP. None of the other tenants abide by the rules and I know their carelessness is costing her money. Its a matter if time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matreshka
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2012 at 2:37 PM

I understand property values and stuff. I am terrified of the rent being raised because its high enough as it is and we want to stay here.  We are good tenants, quiet, nice, and pay our rent and utilities on time all the time.

crzctl8de
by on May. 7, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Check you local laws. Depending on State/County/City there are retrictions on when the rent can be raised.  If your worried ask you landlord or property company they will know if it is being considered, but they can't do it until your lease is up. 

gumeshoe
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Where I am they have very few units. Some of the ones the son owns burned. Once they were repaired it took him forever to rent them, because of the huge local availablity of student apts that has gone crazy.

Also these apts are 40 + years old and have never been renovated, never had anything other than the fridge replaced. They know they can't raise the rent. Apt needs new cabinets, new plumbing, new wiring, new bathroom, new carpet, new a/c heating unit.

So thankfully I really doubt any rents will go up here.

AzariahsMother
by on May. 7, 2012 at 11:24 PM

If their is a raise in utilities that the landlord pays, if the insurance goes up, or if the mortgage goes up.  Most places up it yearly anyway just because.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)