Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Getting rid of cable!

Posted by on May. 7, 2012 at 6:43 PM
  • 39 Replies

well, looks like we are going to be getting rid of cable.  Charter just bought out our local company and the lineup is completely changing middle of this month.  Many of the channels that we watch will only be available using their digital service.   We have that now, but was planning on getting rid of it since there was only two channels we watched (that was before the buyout).  Several of them even require you sign a 2 year contract and upgrade to a DVR.  We decided about a year ago, after my ATT contract was up, that we were done with contracts.   They also got rid of all but one of our local channels.  The one local channel that they left is one that we never watch..

The cable bill is too much for the number of channels that we would be watching. 

We will be keeping our internet through them though.  But, we are going to buy our own modem since I can get one for around 50.00.  I pay 4.00 per month right now for renting the modem.  Charter usually charges 7.00 but since we had it through the other company they were giving it to us for 4.00 per month.  They told me today that when I make a change to our account, that it may go up to the 7.00 per month.  So, we figure we will save a good bit by buying our own..

The lady I talked to today said that she does not believe our internt will go up if we don't have cable also, but I am not sure.  Right now we are paying 25.00 per month for internet (not including the modem rental).  That is not bad at all.  If we go up one speed then it goes to 30.00 per month and if we go to their highest speed then it is like 47.00 per month.  We are going to try to get by with the lower one.  We are going to subscribe to Netflix and Hulu plus so we will have to see if it is fast enough to work.

We are going to save at least 50.00-60.00 per month. 

by on May. 7, 2012 at 6:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
matreshka
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2012 at 6:55 PM
We have charter and hate it for cable. The Internet is fast bit expensive so we bundled w cable. I am always on the phone w them for outages or incorrect billing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
starbeck96
by on May. 7, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Quoting matreshka:

We have charter and hate it for cable. The Internet is fast bit expensive so we bundled w cable. I am always on the phone w them for outages or incorrect billing.

OH no, don't tell me that...lol.

How much is the internet for you?  Right now ours is 24.95.

drivnkids
by on May. 7, 2012 at 7:19 PM

im with charter and i belive that the cable runs about 50-70 depending on what you want. Just a word to the wise they are HORRIBLE with customer servace and most of there tecks are not competant. We had compleatly rewired the wholehousr with high end cable and only had to split three times. the Tec that hooked us up rewired again with 6 splitters....then couldnt get it running.........my ex who used to install had to teach him how to network the system and he didn't know what a T.v tuner for a computer was and agrued with me that i needed a CABLE line to the computer.( it turns the computer into a DVR).......when we argued with carter about it they said oh im sorry i guess we need to train him more.......

OBImomma
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2012 at 7:25 PM
We recently canceled our cable. We were being charged 120$ for internnet and cable and new customers were getting internet, cable and phone for 60$. So we cancled. I missed it a lot at first and we were going to wait 30 days and go back as new customers, but we don't miss it anymore. We have local channels and Netflix.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
starbeck96
by on May. 7, 2012 at 7:39 PM

The good thing is that we already have internet.  They just bought out our local company and have just switched over everything to Charter.  So, at least they won't be needing to install anything...lol.

That is what their cable is here too I think.  I just got the first bill from them Saturday and I picked up a booklet today.  So, I am going to sit down and look at their prices after the kids go to bed.

Since they have taken over we have already went two days without internet.  One time they told us that it was because of them working on it.  Yesterday it was out all day.  It was storming here though and we lost cable and internet at the same time.  But they were able to get teh cable back on in about 3 hours.  Our internet came on sometime during the night (after 10) or early this morning (before 6).

I have thought about talking to verizon about their prepaid internet plan.  I've heard a few people around here say that is is really good.  But I am not sure how many wireless things it will support..

Quoting drivnkids:

im with charter and i belive that the cable runs about 50-70 depending on what you want. Just a word to the wise they are HORRIBLE with customer servace and most of there tecks are not competant. We had compleatly rewired the wholehousr with high end cable and only had to split three times. the Tec that hooked us up rewired again with 6 splitters....then couldnt get it running.........my ex who used to install had to teach him how to network the system and he didn't know what a T.v tuner for a computer was and agrued with me that i needed a CABLE line to the computer.( it turns the computer into a DVR).......when we argued with carter about it they said oh im sorry i guess we need to train him more.......

starbeck96
by on May. 7, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Quoting OBImomma:

We recently canceled our cable. We were being charged 120$ for internnet and cable and new customers were getting internet, cable and phone for 60$. So we cancled. I missed it a lot at first and we were going to wait 30 days and go back as new customers, but we don't miss it anymore. We have local channels and Netflix.

Yeah we are paying around 100.00 for both. 

We are going to get those media streaming players so we can get Netflix.  We are also probably going to get Hulu Plus.  The one we are looking at also comes with Crackle and many others.  Some of the subscriptions you only pay one time ever.  

We really do not watch alot of TV.  My duaghter is 5 and watches more than any of us.  But, she will be fine with mostly DVD's.  Since we will be saving that much, we can really increase her DVD collection..lol

SlightlyPerfect
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Call them now and ask to downgrade the package while you still have it.

Just cancelling will force you into a higher pay rate. If you downgrade, it'll put you at a price advantage. We just did this in January. Downgrade now while you have the package (assuming you've got it bundled).

slightlyperfect

katiebug840204
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 7:48 PM
We haven't had cable in years. We use an antenna and watch the local stations. We can pick up about 10 stations. We don't have Netflix or hulu either because we don't have wifi. Our internet is through Verizon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
starbeck96
by on May. 7, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

Call them now and ask to downgrade the package while you still have it.

Just cancelling will force you into a higher pay rate. If you downgrade, it'll put you at a price advantage. We just did this in January. Downgrade now while you have the package (assuming you've got it bundled).

I will probably the end of this week.  I am assuming that we have it bundled because we had internet and cable with our local company.  Charter basically just left everything as is as far as what package we had.

drivnkids
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Quoting katiebug840204:

We haven't had cable in years. We use an antenna and watch the local stations. We can pick up about 10 stations. We don't have Netflix or hulu either because we don't have wifi. Our internet is through Verizon.

you dont need wifi to have netflix if you have internet you can get it....its only if you want to stream it to something other then your computer......NOW if you have a newer tv you can hook up to the tv through a monotor cable and wow computer biggie sized LOL.....i do it all the time when we all want to watch something.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN