Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Ways to save at the Farmer's Market

Posted by on May. 10, 2012 at 11:12 PM
  • 11 Replies

Shopping at farmer’s markets is fun, family-friendly, and a great way to support local farms and independent businesses in your community. However, they can often be quite expensive (terms like “couponing,” “stacking savings,” and “moneymaker” will fall upon deaf ears at the farmer’s market). But given the amount of time I spend shopping at these markets, I’ve learned some great money-saving tips and tricks that I want to share with you. So here you go, the frugal foodie’s guide to shopping at the farmer’s market:

• Haggle: Don’t be shy—farmer’s market prices are notoriously negotiable.
  • Be a Regular: Vendors often cut deals for their regular customers. As such, smile and get to know your favorite vendors—not only is it nice, but also it could help you save money.
  • Bring Your Own Reusable Grocery Bag: Not only will you fit in with the whole “eco-friendly” vibe at the farmer’s market, but also some vendors charge extra for bags and packaging. Skirt this unnecessary expense by using your very own reusable grocery tote.
  • Take Advantage of Free Samples: Most vendors will let you sample any of their products. So if you happen to come to the market hungry (which, by the way, is normally a big grocery shopping no-no), fill up on free samples. If you miscalculate and end up with excess, over-ripe fruit, you can always use it to make homemade jam or a yummy cobbler.
  • Don’t Buy Too Much: Produce at the farmer’s market, unlike some of the produce available at the grocery store, has not been treated with shelf-life increasing preservatives. As such, farmer’s market produce will spoil quickly, so you should only buy what you are confident your family will eat.
  • Shop in the Rain: So long as the weather conditions aren’t severe and it’s not dangerous to be outside, farmer’s markets remain open. Think about it: vendors selling at these markets need to sell their perishable goods before the market shuts down for the day or the weekend. Everything they don’t sell becomes lost profits. So you can bet they are going to stay open, even when it rains. So put on your anorak and your cutest pair of rain boots and head out to the farmer’s market. Since you’ll probably be one of the only people at the market and vendors are worried about selling all their inventory, they will be inclined to give you a discount. If they don’t offer one up front, it’s perfectly acceptable to say to the vendor, “I braved the elements just for my favorite mango chutney/cheesy Ortega sausages/heirloom tomatoes. Have any rainy day specials for me?”
  • Shop Late: For similar reasoning as to why you should shop in the rain, you can often score great deals by shopping at the farmer’s market right before it closes. I recommend going about a half-hour before closing. Don’t show up one minute before closing and request that the vendor thinly slice 94 loaves of sunflower bread and then individually package them for you. An annoyed vendor will not be inclined to offer you any deals—he or she may even hike up the price to compensate for your bothersome ways.
  • Shop Imperfects: When it comes to produce, some vendors will have imperfect fruits and veggies. While they may be ugly and bruised, there is usually not a discernible difference in taste and quality when compared to their “perfect” counterparts. Ask the vendor if he will cut you a deal on imperfects. He’s likely to comply since he knows that if you don’t buy them, there’s a possibility no one else will, and he’ll have to “eat” the cost of the unsold inventory.
by on May. 10, 2012 at 11:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AzariahsMother
by on May. 10, 2012 at 11:20 PM

TFS!

AzariahsMother
by on May. 10, 2012 at 11:21 PM

My dad runs our local farmers market here, so I am so lucky to get this stuff for free from April to about Sept, and then Oct we get free pumpkins, and Dec a free tree.  It's so nice and a true blessing.

JenieceMojica
by on May. 10, 2012 at 11:22 PM

BUMP!

a_and_j_momma
by on May. 11, 2012 at 12:42 AM
Quoting AzariahsMother:

My dad runs our local farmers market here, so I am so lucky to get this stuff for free from April to about Sept, and then Oct we get free pumpkins, and Dec a free tree.  It's so nice and a true blessing.

That is awesome!
DawnPratt23
by Dawn on May. 11, 2012 at 2:27 AM
Thanks for sharing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2aspclboy
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2012 at 6:41 AM

Our local farmer's market is very small & not very good; it's better to just visit the actual farms or join a CSA.

lillucky8
by Jen on May. 11, 2012 at 7:00 AM
Great tips!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matreshka
by on May. 12, 2012 at 8:58 AM

I find the ones in the cities near me are cheaper than the ones in the college towns I live near.

AzariahsMother
by on May. 12, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Yeah it's pretty nice and cool.  I love it, heading down there now.

Quoting a_and_j_momma:

Quoting AzariahsMother:

That is awesome!

queenbree545
by on May. 12, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Good tips.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)