Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Root Canal or Pull the Tooth? WWYD?

Posted by on May. 14, 2012 at 5:43 PM
  • 54 Replies

My DF went to the dentist and the cavity is really close to the nerve. They suggested either pull it or root canal.

Root Canal: $858

Pull the Tooth: $285

 

Its his first molar on the right side, so its a sizable tooth. If we pull it, his teeth could shift, causing further work to be needed. But root canals aren't 100% either.

We're not sure what to do =/

by on May. 14, 2012 at 5:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lyrick24
by Melissa on May. 14, 2012 at 6:33 PM

 i would try to save my tooth. just had one done on my daughter. the dentist said they were doing root canals different these days and they were better. so far so good.

KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on May. 14, 2012 at 7:14 PM

I keep telling him that we should do the root canal but he keeps saying he's afraid it won't 'work' and it'll need to be pulled anyhow.

And with our upcoming wedding, dental expenses is the last thing we need. But we gotta do it!

Quoting lyrick24:

 i would try to save my tooth. just had one done on my daughter. the dentist said they were doing root canals different these days and they were better. so far so good.


Larisa72
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2012 at 7:30 PM

another thing to consider is that, especially with a molar, there will need to be a crown put on further down the road...but it *can* be delayed for a while....but I'd do the root canal before having it pulled

chrisnjoesmom
by Adrienne on May. 14, 2012 at 8:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Id do the root canal because of the possiblity of it shifting the other teeth, that could create a whole bunch of other problems, the risk is not worth the savings from pulling it if you ask me.  

KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on May. 14, 2012 at 9:42 PM
1 mom liked this
That's what I keep telling him! He wanted me to ask you ladies lol.

But someone said he may need a crown over the root canal which is way more money. Gosh this blows.


Quoting chrisnjoesmom:

Id do the root canal because of the possiblity of it shifting the other teeth, that could create a whole bunch of other problems, the risk is not worth the savings from pulling it if you ask me.  


Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on May. 14, 2012 at 9:42 PM
The dentist mentioned that. Ugh what a mess.


Quoting Larisa72:

another thing to consider is that, especially with a molar, there will need to be a crown put on further down the road...but it *can* be delayed for a while....but I'd do the root canal before having it pulled


Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Moms_Angels1960
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2012 at 9:46 PM
i'd do the root canal. I waited 3 years before getting my crown best thing I ever did.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chrisnjoesmom
by Adrienne on May. 14, 2012 at 9:50 PM

The only other thing I can think of is what about if they remove it and put in a spacer?  I am not really familiar with it but heard about it somewhere.  Is that a  possibility?

KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on May. 14, 2012 at 10:03 PM
Its another thousand dollar
possibility lol
I hate this. We're going to have to get a credit card. Fml.


Quoting chrisnjoesmom:

The only other thing I can think of is what about if they remove it and put in a spacer?  I am not really familiar with it but heard about it somewhere.  Is that a  possibility?


Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on May. 14, 2012 at 10:03 PM
Wow I didn't know you could wait that long!


Quoting Moms_Angels1960:

i'd do the root canal. I waited 3 years before getting my crown best thing I ever did.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)