Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Root Canal or Pull the Tooth? WWYD?

Posted by   + Show Post

My DF went to the dentist and the cavity is really close to the nerve. They suggested either pull it or root canal.

Root Canal: $858

Pull the Tooth: $285

Its his first molar on the right side, so its a sizable tooth. If we pull it, his teeth could shift, causing further work to be needed. But root canals aren't 100% either.

We're not sure what to do =/

by on May. 14, 2012 at 5:43 PM
Replies (21-30):
DawnPratt23
by Dawn on May. 14, 2012 at 10:47 PM

I have had 8 root canals, one is over 20 yrs old and no problems. The others are 10 years old, I have never had any problems either. 

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

I've had two root canals, no problems that I know of. I need dental work too but not on those teeth.

Quoting Idntreallycare:

any time I hear about somebody getting a root canal, not long after that tooth gets pulled anyways.

I would get it pulled, especially with it being a back tooth.

DawnPratt23
by Dawn on May. 14, 2012 at 10:50 PM
3 grand?? Find a new dentist, I've never paid more than 750 for mine. And I have 8 porcelain crowns.

Quoting corinthians81:

I agree with going with the root canal as well....even though they are awful and way more expensive but also bcus of the risk of them shifting and potentially causing more problems...and because it is right up front and a moral..If you get a root canal I believe you need a cap..so that the tooth doesn't fracture.I got one on a back bottom tooth,& did not have restorative dental coverage....After they did the root canal is when they told me I needed a cap...and that it would be 3 thousand dollars for a porcelain cap,I then asked for metal and they said, that they did not do metal caps anymore,because of the risk or infection...I had to get a temp.cap which about 6months later had deteriorated=(....Good luck with the dental work!!

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

That's what I keep telling him! He wanted me to ask you ladies lol.

But someone said he may need a crown over the root canal which is way more money. Gosh this blows.

Quoting chrisnjoesmom:

Id do the root canal because of the possiblity of it shifting the other teeth, that could create a whole bunch of other problems, the risk is not worth the savings from pulling it if you ask me.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on May. 14, 2012 at 11:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I was just looking at their pricelist and a stainless steel crown is $110 and I think that's what the dentist was referring to. I was also looking at the cost of a bridge and it has me wondering if an extraction and a metal bridge would be about the same as a root canal and then we wouldn't have any future problems with that tooth. Hmmmmm......

Quoting DawnPratt23:

3 grand?? Find a new dentist, I've never paid more than 750 for mine. And I have 8 porcelain crowns.

Quoting corinthians81:

I agree with going with the root canal as well....even though they are awful and way more expensive but also bcus of the risk of them shifting and potentially causing more problems...and because it is right up front and a moral..If you get a root canal I believe you need a cap..so that the tooth doesn't fracture.I got one on a back bottom tooth,& did not have restorative dental coverage....After they did the root canal is when they told me I needed a cap...and that it would be 3 thousand dollars for a porcelain cap,I then asked for metal and they said, that they did not do metal caps anymore,because of the risk or infection...I had to get a temp.cap which about 6months later had deteriorated=(....Good luck with the dental work!!

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

But someone said he may need a crown over the root canal which is way more money. Gosh this blows.

Quoting chrisnjoesmom:

Id do the root canal because of the possiblity of it shifting the other teeth, that could create a whole bunch of other problems, the risk is not worth the savings from pulling it if you ask me.  

DawnPratt23
by Dawn on May. 14, 2012 at 11:17 PM
I haven't checked out bridges, would love to have implants eventually, I know expensive however an important thing for me.

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

I was just looking at their pricelist and a stainless steel crown is $110 and I think that's what the dentist was referring to. I was also looking at the cost of a bridge and it has me wondering if an extraction and a metal bridge would be about the same as a root canal and then we wouldn't have any future problems with that tooth. Hmmmmm......

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Quoting corinthians81:

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Quoting chrisnjoesmom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on May. 14, 2012 at 11:21 PM

I totally understand. One of my canines has a hole in it and I saw a porcelain veneer is $565 but Idk if that includes the implantations, which I believe is another $80. But that tooth is right up front and skimping on it would ruin my smile. Its a baby tooth anyway, the last dentist told me. I have a couple.

If we can get 5k from care credit I know we can pay it off fast. Its just getting the approval =/

Quoting DawnPratt23:

I haven't checked out bridges, would love to have implants eventually, I know expensive however an important thing for me.

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Quoting corinthians81:

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Quoting chrisnjoesmom:

DawnPratt23
by Dawn on May. 14, 2012 at 11:27 PM

That's not a bad price, I have one right now that has a cavity at the top and one on the bottom :( I am sure that will end up costing us. 

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

I totally understand. One of my canines has a hole in it and I saw a porcelain veneer is $565 but Idk if that includes the implantations, which I believe is another $80. But that tooth is right up front and skimping on it would ruin my smile. Its a baby tooth anyway, the last dentist told me. I have a couple.

If we can get 5k from care credit I know we can pay it off fast. Its just getting the approval =/

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Quoting corinthians81:

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Quoting chrisnjoesmom:

KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on May. 14, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Thats awful! Do you have Comfort Dental in your state? That's where we're going, that's where the prices are from

Quoting DawnPratt23:

That's not a bad price, I have one right now that has a cavity at the top and one on the bottom :( I am sure that will end up costing us. 

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Quoting corinthians81:

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Quoting chrisnjoesmom:

DawnPratt23
by Dawn on May. 14, 2012 at 11:38 PM
I don't know, we have tricare and they just switched insurances from united concordia to metlife. I didn't.care for my last dentist and need to find one open late hours.

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Thats awful! Do you have Comfort Dental in your state? That's where we're going, that's where the prices are from

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Quoting corinthians81:

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Quoting chrisnjoesmom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on May. 14, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Dentists suck. I hate going to them, and I'm next =(

Quoting DawnPratt23:

I don't know, we have tricare and they just switched insurances from united concordia to metlife. I didn't.care for my last dentist and need to find one open late hours.

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Quoting corinthians81:

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Quoting chrisnjoesmom:

DawnPratt23
by Dawn on May. 14, 2012 at 11:46 PM
My last dentist started using cheap materials, the chairs were starting to fall apart, and he started smelling like smoke. I had to stop going because I felt his business wasnt going well.

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Dentists suck. I hate going to them, and I'm next =(

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Quoting corinthians81:

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Quoting chrisnjoesmom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)