Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm new and need some tips as I'm in a bind

Posted by on May. 19, 2012 at 7:45 AM
  • 59 Replies
I'm in a rut. I am living in an expensive place with no ability to save in order to get out. I do not pay for Internet, cable, lights or water; those come with rent. I am on foodstamps and it helps, but only barely. We get $100 in foodstamps and once dh gets his next 25ยข raise or we move then we are off them. We only have one income and I am trying to find a job, but I am having zero luck. I have a kindle and not a computer, so Internet jobs are kinda difficult to find. I do get a teeny tiny bit of money from Amazon mechanical Turk(a hit program), however $10 a month is not very much help.

I have no space for a garden.
I hand wash my clothing, but use a dryer as I have no ability to dry our clothes before they start to smell like mold. (Humid here)

Here's what we spend money on each month:

$1250= Rent
$200= food($100 after fs)
$50= shampoo, deodorant, fem. hyg. products, laundry det., dish det., cleaning supplies, Otc meds
$400= family medical provided by employer
$10= 100,000 life insurance on dh
$25= work shoes
$6= gas for moped

Total = $1941/month for expenses
Dh gets a $445 check per week, which is about $1930 per month.

Have any tips for us? We can really use the help. =[
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 19, 2012 at 7:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
504Gemini
by on May. 19, 2012 at 7:48 AM
$1841 expenses, not $1941

I should add that on a 4 week month that dh only gets about $1780 and a 5 week month he gets about $2225.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on May. 19, 2012 at 8:25 AM

if you have a cvs or drug store chain...you can usually get those personal care items at half off and MORE...sometimes only for tax...by using coupons and store benefits...

how come work shoes are every month?

504Gemini
by on May. 19, 2012 at 8:49 AM
I rarely find coupons that justify spending $2 on a paper. Plus it has to be brand specific, each of us is sensitive to certain things and I have trouble finding coupons for them. I try to get coupons from a ex coworker every week, but sometimes she keeps them. I have used a coupon maybe 3-5 times per month, but mainly on food items. :( I am trying to find coupons, but I've spent more on the Sunday papers, then what I've saved. =[

He gets new shoes from the company every two month's for 50, so every month we put aside 25. I don't know why, but the slip resistant sole wears out every few weeks. I guess he drags his feet a lot, idk. They have to be slip resistant in his job.

Quoting aneela:

if you have a cvs or drug store chain...you can usually get those personal care items at half off and MORE...sometimes only for tax...by using coupons and store benefits...

how come work shoes are every month?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chrissysnow22
by Chrissy on May. 19, 2012 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Hi, welcome to the group!

Do you meal plan? Cook from scratch?

You could make just about all those beauty, and cleaning products for much less than $50

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chrissysnow22
by Chrissy on May. 19, 2012 at 8:55 AM
If you would like any recipes let me know.

How many people are in your family?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
504Gemini
by on May. 19, 2012 at 9:01 AM
Thank you. =]

I kinda meal plan and I cook semi from scratch. I'm still learning, Lol.

I can make those items? How?

Quoting chrissysnow22:

Hi, welcome to the group!

Do you meal plan? Cook from scratch?

You could make just about all those beauty, and cleaning products for much less than $50

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
504Gemini
by on May. 19, 2012 at 9:02 AM
We are a family of 4. ETA, yes please give recipes.
Quoting chrissysnow22:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matreshka
by Valerie on May. 19, 2012 at 9:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Since you are on FS can you also qualify for medicaid or something to lower the cost of you rhealth insurance?  Can the plan be changed in any way?

queenmary1o1
by on May. 19, 2012 at 9:09 AM
Im not the op, and im not trying to take her post, but could you tell how to make those things??,

Quoting chrissysnow22:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
504Gemini
by on May. 19, 2012 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this
We cannot change the health ins. until October and need it for dh, he doesn't qualify for Medicaid so we can not get rid of it completely. The kids will qualify though. We have 5 months before we can change the plan to individual.

Quoting matreshka:

Since you are on FS can you also qualify for medicaid or something to lower the cost of you rhealth insurance?  Can the plan be changed in any way?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)