Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

As a woman, how do you deal with car repairs? (piog) update :)

Posted by on May. 23, 2012 at 10:05 AM
  • 35 Replies

I went to get an oil change and they came back saying I needed $535 in car repairs, serpentine belts, something with one of the back wheels knocking and labor costs.  I am always leery of getting duped because I am female because it has happened before.  DH knows less than me about cars.  What should I do to ensure I need the work, especially the serpentine belts done?

by on May. 23, 2012 at 10:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katatrinakay
by on May. 23, 2012 at 10:25 AM
I wait til something falls off or tge car quits running and i end up calling a tow truck whilst sitting on the side of the road....(i wouldnt recommend it though)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ms-superwoman
by Member on May. 23, 2012 at 10:26 AM
I call my brothers. But always get more than one estimate.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
saltyalley1227
by on May. 23, 2012 at 10:29 AM
I grew up in the Detroit area where everyone and their dad works with cars. My dad made sure I know how to do all the basics (breaks, oil change and check, jump, fuel filter, etc.) but if I ever need repairs I have a guy I trust take my car in. They are less likely to try and dupe a guy. Sad fact.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bcauseimthemom

I used to do them myself before my auto accident.  If it was too complicated I have enough friends that are certified mechanics that all I pay for is the parts. Now those friends handle all of the maintenance of our vehicle because I am unable and my husband is a Chef by trade.

WrapNLoseInches
5 moms liked this

as a female who has a degree in auto repair and manages a shop, I can tell you the BEST thing to do is to tell them no thank you, and get a second opinion. research the issue they are claiming and if you have to pretend you know what your talking about. Also, find a mechanic you like, and stick to him/her! dont jump around to just any shop you can get into. Pick one that you trust, and do ALL repairs with them, its is safer to develop a relationship with one mechanic than to allow just anyone to work on your vehicle.

kmencl3210
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2012 at 10:31 AM
Well honestly, DH does oil changes and if we need any fluid (like power steering fluid) he does that. Anything else I call my stepdad lol. And he can get me free/cheap used but good condition parts and tires. So it works.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Moms_Angels1960
by Member on May. 23, 2012 at 10:32 AM

I am not sure that that amount of money = serpentine belt. I would ask for a 2nd opinion. For me I get my dh to do the repairs. I also have stepsons that could do the work.If dh or stepsons can't do it I have a mechanic that thinks those kinds of businesses are rip offs and he charges way less. I would look around.

WrapNLoseInches
by on May. 23, 2012 at 10:33 AM

for a serpentine belt, they would be suggesting it for one of 3 reasons: 1. to dupe ya. 2. becasue of age or mileage of VEHICLE 3. due to cracks divets or seperations, dry rot etc.        reason number 3 is a need to do.  number 2 only if the BELT is 7 yrs or 100k miles old. otherwise dont worry about it.

the knocking in teh rear wheels, that could be a number of things, but Im guessing it was probably a wheel bearing or wheel hub assembly. If not that then it might have been rear bushings.  bearing/hub get it done (after a second opinion confirms) bushings.. not a safety issue.. dont worry about those. If you happen to find out exactly waht they were wanting to do let me know and I can tell you the significance of them.

Strega
by on May. 23, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Serpentine Belt definitely needs to be fixed. That's what's holding everything together. I had one go on my old Cavalier. The Car never ran again.

Do you have a regular Mechanic? I'd suggest taking it to someone else, second opinion and all.

But if they're right about the Serpentine Belt, you don't have a whole lot of time to spare.

Good luck to you!

Daisypath - (oQoi)

Follow Me on Pinterest

a_and_j_momma
by on May. 23, 2012 at 10:45 AM
Get a 2nd opinion
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)