Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

College $'s added to budget!

Posted by on May. 23, 2012 at 4:44 PM
  • 9 Replies

OMG, I feel awful for our younger son's.  Our 18 yr old (Step Son), is entering college this fall.  I am so proud of him for getting soccer scholarship, academic scholarship, elks club scholarship, work study program money and taking out his personal student loans.   BUT we still have to add in our budget $1000 a month to pay the rest of his tuition/fees and so forth.  Where is it going to come from?  I feel like I am depriving our younger ones of opportunities!

We already live a very frugal life style (by not keeping up with all this and that).  I am proud we do that.  But honestly, it is depressing to reduce down even more.  We won't have the ability to pay for extracurricular activities for them like we did for our 18 yr old.  

They cannot follow their dreams like our older son did....  I already took on a part time job, while the kids are at school.  Now my husband seems in his tone of voice when I talk about this summer like I cannot stay home with them like we planned for me to do in the summer.

He works, runs / manages a large company and mentally, I know he cannot work any more and is at the top of the pay chain in his company....

UGH  I am venting!  Thanks for reading!  

butterfly

by on May. 23, 2012 at 4:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
rmp
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2012 at 5:20 PM

My friends kids all applied for FAFSA and the each got grant money that is out there. Every year they have a huge amount of money and a lot of people do not apply for it so it goes unused. Go on there website. I believe the deadline to apply is 6-30-12. Good Luck!!

ZmomBare
by on May. 24, 2012 at 8:08 AM

We are not elligible for any more financial assistance.  This is our third through college and he has done his very best to get $'s.  Dad was also a great negotiator with the college since he has many contacts there.  I don't want to work this summer and I don't want to deprive the two younger ones of activities.

While the others were in college our partents were able to pay for the younger boys activities, but they are too old to do that now.

Our income level is great, but we are paying on a lot of debts.

nmaxwell816
by on May. 30, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Good luck

gsprofval
by on May. 30, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Have your son get a job this summer and put all the money back for tuition in the fall and spring.

My daughter is a sophomore in college and is working 45-50+ hours a week to pay for tuition next year.  She did get  a $1000 scholarship from the school and should get some grants, too.  She will also be applying for scholarships this summer.  We are trying NOT to take out any loans, but will probably have to eventually.

AzariahsMother
by on May. 30, 2012 at 10:05 PM
I worry about this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabearlehman
by Silver Member on May. 30, 2012 at 10:38 PM
He can get a job and save for tuition. Getting anywhere in life takes hard work and sacrifice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabearlehman
by Silver Member on May. 30, 2012 at 10:41 PM
Plus, there are SO many scholarships out there for crazy random things. Get the big book of scholarships 2013. I know a girl who got a scholarship for making a prom dress out of duct tape. Weird, but true.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on May. 30, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Sorry mama :(

How old are the younger ones? Maybe it'd be good for them if you worked and they were old enough to stay home this summer. Save up for the after school extra curriculars that way

ZmomBare
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 4:16 PM
Yes, my boss put me in on his two days off which means I have lots of time with the kiddo's. The one in college got 4 scholarships, and loans, and work study, but the tuition is out ragious. He works, but is a soccer player and has to use that money to go play in Germany this July.
I know it will work out, I guess I am resentful toward him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN