Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Cash only?

Posted by on May. 25, 2012 at 9:21 AM
  • 38 Replies

Does anyone use a cash only system? DH and I use our debit cards like they are going out of style and I would really like to go to using mostly cash (and pay bills online still). I just am not very comfortable using cash all the time since we never have it on us, but I also don't want to be running to the ATM every day.

Anyone with a cash system please share tips..

you rock

by on May. 25, 2012 at 9:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Playitagain
by on May. 25, 2012 at 9:29 AM
We did that for about a year, but where we live (suburbs of Detroit) you really don't want to leave your kids to get gas or carry alot of cash. It was tough because we completely cut up our debit cards. We stopped because my dd has a mental illness called rad. Her brain can't figure out social norms, proper actions. She steals all the time from us, and so cash in my purse was always going missing and its very embarassing.
Anyhow, make sure you have the right amount on you and start small. Rather then using cash for everything, start with grocery shopping, not picking up extra stuff. Then add gas, and so on. Cold turkey on the debit card is hard lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on May. 25, 2012 at 9:36 AM
No. It doesn't work for us. Our bills come out automatically
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Moms_Angels1960
by Bronze Member on May. 25, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Nope, cash doesn't work well for me either I have cash I spend it I have my debit card  I am more likely not to spend.I pay my bills with a check.

specialwingz
by Corey on May. 25, 2012 at 9:45 AM
3 moms liked this

You'd be surprised by the number of places across the U.S. that are refusing to take cash anymore.  That number grows on a daily basis.  It's supposedly to cut down the crime rates in the robbery department.  So, don't go cutting up those debit cards.

I remember when debit cards first came out.  I was bound and determined I was not converting to it.  LOL.  Now, it's all I use.  It's the same as cash.  If the money isn't in your account, the purchase won't go through.  It is safer to use your debit card than to carry around cash.  No matter how good the area you believe you are visiting/living.

My DD had her purse stolen.  We learned a very interesting tidbit from the bank that they don't tell you if you don't know to ask.  When, using your debit card, when it asks you if you are using it as a "debit" or a "credit"...always choose "credit".  This does NOT mean you are using a credit card.  It still reads your debit card as the debit card it is.  But, it forces you to sign for the purchase instead of using your PIN #, which is now in danger of being "skimmed" in numerous ways.  By, treating the purchase as a credit (but it's still a debit, I can't stress this enough) and signing for the purchase, this protects you through your bank.  Purchases that are processed in this way are covered by the FDIC insurance your bank carries whereas "debit" processed purchases are not.  In the event that your card gets stolen or you are a victim of identity theft, the purchases that are processed as "credits" are protected and you are NOT responsible for them.  There is an actual signature that can prove or disprove who used the card.  A debit card transaction simply relies on whether or not the establishment had cameras and caught the person who used your car.  Then, and only  then, is a purchase on a stolen card covered.

I hope that made sense.  I'm still working on my 1st cup of coffee.  LOL.  Let me know if you have any questions.  We went throught the wringer with DD's stolen purse situation.  But, we learned A LOT!  =)

MrsRinehart2010
by on May. 25, 2012 at 9:50 AM

I personally only use cash, I will not own a credit card because I would litterlaly put us in debt.  I jsut dont own them, I will not let my husband hand me the credit card because I could easily waster 100's of dollars in one shopping trip. No as far as my husband  he own one cridit card no more, he pays the credit card bill on line the rest is money order as far as bills. He will put his check in the bank pull what we need for bills , gets money orders and when we need other stuff we put it on the credit card. but he doesnt have a debit card either we would waste too much money.

nailz98
by Member on May. 25, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Same goes for me too. the only cash that we have is for hubby's gas for the week.

Quoting Moms_Angels1960:

Nope, cash doesn't work well for me either I have cash I spend it I have my debit card  I am more likely not to spend.I pay my bills with a check.

jessicaaris
by Member on May. 25, 2012 at 10:14 AM
Wow I used to work in a bank and I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

Quoting specialwingz:

You'd be surprised by the number of places across the U.S. that are refusing to take cash anymore.  That number grows on a daily basis.  It's supposedly to cut down the crime rates in the robbery department.  So, don't go cutting up those debit cards.

I remember when debit cards first came out.  I was bound and determined I was not converting to it.  LOL.  Now, it's all I use.  It's the same as cash.  If the money isn't in your account, the purchase won't go through.  It is safer to use your debit card than to carry around cash.  No matter how good the area you believe you are visiting/living.

My DD had her purse stolen.  We learned a very interesting tidbit from the bank that they don't tell you if you don't know to ask.  When, using your debit card, when it asks you if you are using it as a "debit" or a "credit"...always choose "credit".  This does NOT mean you are using a credit card.  It still reads your debit card as the debit card it is.  But, it forces you to sign for the purchase instead of using your PIN #, which is now in danger of being "skimmed" in numerous ways.  By, treating the purchase as a credit (but it's still a debit, I can't stress this enough) and signing for the purchase, this protects you through your bank.  Purchases that are processed in this way are covered by the FDIC insurance your bank carries whereas "debit" processed purchases are not.  In the event that your card gets stolen or you are a victim of identity theft, the purchases that are processed as "credits" are protected and you are NOT responsible for them.  There is an actual signature that can prove or disprove who used the card.  A debit card transaction simply relies on whether or not the establishment had cameras and caught the person who used your car.  Then, and only  then, is a purchase on a stolen card covered.

I hope that made sense.  I'm still working on my 1st cup of coffee.  LOL.  Let me know if you have any questions.  We went throught the wringer with DD's stolen purse situation.  But, we learned A LOT!  =)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
specialwingz
by Corey on May. 25, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Yeah, I was in banking for 10 years in my early lifew.  But, that was waaaay before debit cards were even a glint in anyone's eye and checking accounts were the thing to have.  Back then, checks were physically handled at the bank, signatures were actually compared on each and every check!  If you had 3 occurences where you filed a check where the signature didn't match the one on the signture card, you lost your job!  Yep, old times.  LMAO

Quoting jessicaaris:

Wow I used to work in a bank and I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

Quoting specialwingz:

chinosruca
by on May. 25, 2012 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this
I spend more when I have cash. I prefer my debit card.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on May. 25, 2012 at 11:49 AM

i would love to do this...it really does work when BOTH people are on board (if married or have SO) but when ppl dont agree...it can be so frustrating

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)