Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

8-Year-Old Gets 'Catastrophe Award' for Most Homework Excuses

Posted by   + Show Post

8-Year-Old Gets 'Catastrophe Award' for Most Homework Excuses

What do you feel about this article?

(ABC)

The mother of an 8-year-old Arizona girl who was presented with a "Catastrophe Award" for apparently having the most excuses for not having homework believes her child was humiliated by her teacher.

Christina Valdez said her daughter, Cassandra Garcia, came home one day from class at Desert Springs Academy in Tucson, Ariz., with the paper award.

The document, which looks like a colorful card, contained the following message: "You're Tops! Catastrophe Award.  Awarded to Cassandra Garcia. For Most Excuses for Not Having Homework."

The teacher signed the card "Ms. Plowman," added the date - May 18, 2012 - and even included a smiley face.

The teacher announced the award in front of the entire class, and the other students laughed at her daughter, Valdez said in a Thursday interview with ABC TV affiliate KGUN-TV in Tucson.

When she contacted the school to complain, the principal "blew me off," Valdez added. "She said it was a joke that was played and that the teachers joke around with the children."

But Valdez told KGUN that she didn't find any of it funny.

"I think it's cruel and no child should be given an award like this. It's disturbing," she said, adding that she was not aware her daughter had a problem with homework, and that the girl had been enrolled in an after-school homework assistance program.

Desert Springs Academy's principal declined to comment to a KGUN reporter, the affiliate reported.

Also Read

by on May. 30, 2012 at 9:34 AM
Replies (21-30):
Chelsey191
by on May. 30, 2012 at 8:42 PM

I feel bad for the kid, but the mother coming out with this story looks like the real loser here. She should be parenting her child and making sure the homework got completed.  I dont agree with what the school did but if the mother had done her job, this never would have happened.

natalias925
by on May. 31, 2012 at 8:09 AM
Word. FAR Too coddled.

Quoting kameka:

If the teacher truly didn't bring the problem to the mother's attention then yeah, I'd be upset too, but not enough to call the principal, much less the news. I think kids are far too coddled these days. They can't even get their names on the board because it might hurt their feelings.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on May. 31, 2012 at 8:28 AM

im really not surprised to see people who are ok with the school system doing something like this...it is not an age appropriate joke at all...how does this benefit the child and bring any positive from it? if the teacher had a conference with the parent and the parent does nothing to help the kid do what is required..then the kid fails and gets held back...you dont need to pull a stunt like this...if there is communication happening between parent and teacher/school system in the first place....esp kids that age

Dontchawishuknu
by on May. 31, 2012 at 2:26 PM

This......

Quoting specialwingz:

I've seen joking around like this at the high school level.  At my boys' graduation practice (where it was more appropriate), there were several jokes like this presented as the kids practiced seating and walking across the stage.  There were awards like "the most tardy, yet passed the class", "never cracked a book, still aced it", "most destined to open their own version of Hogwart's".  All of these were verbal as they announced the kids across the stage.  They were all in fun and none were nasty.  Everyone laughed and couldn't wait to see what their "award" would be.  But, again...that's high school!  8 years old is NOT an appropriate age to be poking that kind of fun!  I would have been up at that school, too.  And, if I didn't get results there, I'd be heading up to the superintendent's office.  If that didn't work...the state board of education would be my next move.  Don't piss off the mama bear!!!! 

KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on May. 31, 2012 at 2:28 PM
I would've cried :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof3josephs
by on May. 31, 2012 at 4:38 PM
I think the mother should be embarrassed for not making sure her daughter had her homework. If the girl had done what she was supposed to, she wouldn't have been humiliated. There is a lesson to be learned here, and it shouldn't be how to blame the schools for your childs irresponsibility.
AzariahsMother
by on May. 31, 2012 at 7:39 PM
I don't even know what to say. That's just crazy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Awip
by on May. 31, 2012 at 11:56 PM
1 mom liked this
An AWARD is supposed to be for a positive accomplishment, surely this little girl did SOMETHING right throughout the year that could have been awarded thus building her confidence and self esteem! That teachers needs to reevaluate her actions. As always there are the PERFECT parents who always make their kids do their homework- not everyone's life is perfect so I'll leave you to it. In the. Meantime, we live in the real world and sh*t happens! This child deserved a productive encouraging award as much as the straight a student in the next desk!
DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Jun. 1, 2012 at 1:29 AM
Do you know EVERYTHING, your child does at school? Don't blame the mom if the so called teacher doesn't communicate that there is an issue. Instead of giving this award, the teacher could've done her job and tell the mom this was going on. In my experience my oldest son's teachers wait til the week before grades are due to grade papers, how is one to know there is an issue when you wait 8 weeks before even looking at the work? >
Quoting momof3josephs:

I think the mother should be embarrassed for not making sure her daughter had her homework. If the girl had done what she was supposed to, she wouldn't have been humiliated. There is a lesson to be learned here, and it shouldn't be how to blame the schools for your childs irresponsibility.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
natalias925
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 8:30 AM
Your experience sounds like a bad one, that teacher was off kilter for not lookig at papers.
But in this case the girl was in a homework help program. The parent had to have known. If the girl is old enough to make excuses for not turning in her work then she is old enough for a mock award. Hopefully it would motivate her to actually turn her work in.

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Do you know EVERYTHING, your child does at school? Don't blame the mom if the so called teacher doesn't communicate that there is an issue. Instead of giving this award, the teacher could've done her job and tell the mom this was going on. In my experience my oldest son's teachers wait til the week before grades are due to grade papers, how is one to know there is an issue when you wait 8 weeks before even looking at the work? >

Quoting momof3josephs:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN