Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

"Off-Peak" Electric question

Posted by   + Show Post

I was checking into it and my electric company offers the off peak rates, but you have to call and sign up to be on the onpeak/offpeak program. The off peak times are 7pm to 11am,  and all day on weekends and holidays. But I'm not sure because of the changes in rates if it would actually save us any money?

Flat Rates:

Energy Charge: $0.072567 per kWh for the first 600 kWh per month during the billing months of June-September

$0.145872 per kWh for all kWh over 600 kWh per month during the billing months of June-September

$0.072567 per kWh for all kWh during the billing months of October-May

Variable Rates:

On-Peak Energy Charge: $0.115776 per kWh for all kWh during the billing months of June-September

Off-Peak Energy Charge: $0.073416 per kWh for all kWh during the billing months of June-September

On-Peak Energy Charge: $0.081281 per kWh for all kWh during the billing months of October-May

Off-Peak Energy Charge: $0.069761 per kWh for all kWh during the billing months of October-May

by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 2:26 PM
Replies (11-15):
specialwingz
by Corey on Jun. 8, 2012 at 12:55 PM

I've never used this method.  In MN, I always had my bills averaged out.  Worked out well for me.  Doesn't really work to my benefit here in Texas, though.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jun. 9, 2012 at 8:19 AM

I'm in Michigan, too.  We just got an electric bill for $474!  That's twice what we usually have, and it's because of "summer rates."  I'd like to know where they get the "summer" from when May had temps avg in the 50's - 60's.....Oh, and they estimated our usage for April, then did an actual reading for May...and I got socked with double the cost.  I'm definitely not happy, but what can you do?

We have Consumers Energy and they don't offer off-peak rates or else I'd definitely take advantage of them.

Quoting Gorilla_Mama:

Quoting chichiwvu:

Where do you live btw (like state?) Cause your rates are much more than mine. I was telling DH that even though our electric doubled, it's still less than our smallest bill when we lived in MD - and it includes trash and water. Our house is twice as big as our old one too.

Michigan, low cost of living around here. We have well water so even the toliets/showers rely on electricity and I'd really love to find a way to cut back on it.

Gorilla_Mama
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 10:11 AM

That's actually who I'm talking about, Consumers. They do offer it but you have to sign up for it. Although I tried calling them to ask a few questions like if they'd have to change our meter out (DH wants it moved if they do), but I had to leave a message and they haven't called back yet.

From their website

Time of Day Rate 

If you use the majority of your electricity in the evening, early morning and/or weekends, you may benefit from requesting this revised rate. Call us at (989) 791-5645. Previously available to customers averaging 1,000 kilowatt-hours of electric use per month, it is now open to any residential customer, who chooses to have their energy use metered, based upon on-peak and off-peak periods.

From Monday through Friday, on-peak hours are 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Off-peak periods are 7 p.m. to 11 a.m. Weekends and holidays are off-peak hours. Prices vary by summer (June - September) and winter (October - May)

The small farm, income assistance and life support credits also are available under this rate

http://www.consumersenergy.com/content.aspx?ID=1248

Quoting michiganmom116:

I'm in Michigan, too.  We just got an electric bill for $474!  That's twice what we usually have, and it's because of "summer rates."  I'd like to know where they get the "summer" from when May had temps avg in the 50's - 60's.....Oh, and they estimated our usage for April, then did an actual reading for May...and I got socked with double the cost.  I'm definitely not happy, but what can you do?

We have Consumers Energy and they don't offer off-peak rates or else I'd definitely take advantage of them.

Quoting Gorilla_Mama:

Quoting chichiwvu:

Where do you live btw (like state?) Cause your rates are much more than mine. I was telling DH that even though our electric doubled, it's still less than our smallest bill when we lived in MD - and it includes trash and water. Our house is twice as big as our old one too.

Michigan, low cost of living around here. We have well water so even the toliets/showers rely on electricity and I'd really love to find a way to cut back on it.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jun. 9, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Thanks!  I'll look into it, definitely!

Quoting Gorilla_Mama:

That's actually who I'm talking about, Consumers. They do offer it but you have to sign up for it. Although I tried calling them to ask a few questions like if they'd have to change our meter out (DH wants it moved if they do), but I had to leave a message and they haven't called back yet.

From their website

Time of Day Rate 

If you use the majority of your electricity in the evening, early morning and/or weekends, you may benefit from requesting this revised rate. Call us at (989) 791-5645. Previously available to customers averaging 1,000 kilowatt-hours of electric use per month, it is now open to any residential customer, who chooses to have their energy use metered, based upon on-peak and off-peak periods.

From Monday through Friday, on-peak hours are 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Off-peak periods are 7 p.m. to 11 a.m. Weekends and holidays are off-peak hours. Prices vary by summer (June - September) and winter (October - May)

The small farm, income assistance and life support credits also are available under this rate

http://www.consumersenergy.com/content.aspx?ID=1248

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting Gorilla_Mama:

Quoting chichiwvu:

samplus4
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 12:42 AM

When I figured out that my company had off peak hours I did all my laundry in those house and I ran my dishwasher etc. It did save me to do that. So if you are thinking about it do it, it is worth it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN