Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

cloth napkins...need a creative idea

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 9:37 PM
  • 16 Replies

Our family of 5 has been using cloth napkins (aka soft washcloths) for a while now...but since most of them are the same color...I am wondering what you folks do to keep straight "whose is whose"?  My original idea was to have each person use their own color napkin....but when I found some on sale in same color bundles.....that is what I bought. So....I am not crafty...is there a creative (and inexpensive) idea out there...for napkin rings...or something similiar we can personalize to keep it clear?  My kids don't care whose is whose now...but I know as they get older they will make it an issue. Thanks for any ideas  :)

by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 9:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Homeschoolmom99
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Try looking in dollar stores and find some rings even those ones for shower rings

AzariahsMother
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 9:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Maybe have kids do some kind of painting on theirs., iron on letters or some kind of patch. Do they have tags? You could just write the name on it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chichiwvu
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 9:44 PM
I'd do iron on patches, or even stitch their initial on the corner. There are some ideas for cheap napkin rings on pinterest. You can wrap Sosa bottle necks in fabric, use tp tubes or wrapping paper tubes etc..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 3:15 AM

Stitch in their initials

TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Jun. 14, 2012 at 9:55 AM

good idea but that wouldn't work in my house, everybody but me has the same inittials. All JMJ, lol

Quoting MixedCooke:

Stitch in their initials

matreshka
by Platinum Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 10:10 AM

They have small iron on appliques, patches etc that you can get cheap at the craft store.  I like the ones that are rhinestones, they are easy to apply, will sort of make the napkins matching but you can also tell whose is whose.

JustShawna
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 4:44 PM

take a different colors of ribbon and tie each one up -- for example, for me, mine would be pink, so I would take it from diagonal corner and roll it to the opposite diagonal corner and then tie in the middle with my pink. You could even go so far as to put a name on the ribbon to make the ribbon last...hubby's would be blue, so we'd tie his ribbon in blue -- oldest son's green and youngest's dark purple...

sonogal
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 7:48 PM

different colored pipe cleaners or chenille stems from a craft store...just wind them around the cloth

specialwingz
by Corey on Jun. 15, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Cut up toilet paper or paper towel tubes about an 1-1 1/2" thick.  Let the kids decorate them in their own unique way.  You can supply crayons, buttons, beads, string, you name it.  Then they will have thier own personal napkin rings.

specialwingz
by Corey on Jun. 15, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Let the children learn how to stitch designs.  Even a darning needle will go through the wash cloths easily.  Provide some brightly colored yarn or floss and let them stitch away.  Then, they can stitch their initials in one corner.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)