Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Fun on A Budget - Have you redone your budget recently? What's your best budget hint?

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 12:46 PM
  • 14 Replies

Thursday Thrifty Throwdown: Fun on A Budget Challenge #2 *

Posted by HeatherNYC on Jun. 14, 2012

Thursdays in June mean we all get ideas on how to have fun on a budget. Hints on how to enjoy the warmer months (or any month really) with little ways to save money for the fun or ways to have fun without spending a whole lot of cashola.

For the Fun on A Budget Challenge #2, let's look at that budget. And take another closer look. Are there ways to redo or tweak or alter that budget in order to have some extra money to do summer fun things. Cheek out these simple tweaks to make that can make your summer fun and not break your budget:

-- Look at the grocery bill. The grocery bill is one area where we have a bit of wiggle room. Try out some costs saving recipes, break out that crockpot, cut out meat twice a week - anything you can do to shave sat $10 per week off of your groceries is $40 a month extra for fun.

--Make it automatic. Use all of the technology at our disposal. Look at Blueprint for ways to make it easy to save money. Contact your bank to have $40 or $50 taken out of each paycheck and put aside for fun.

-- Reassess your needs and wants. This is advice for those areas within all of the categories in your budget. Within your clothing category or the household category, rethink the purchases everyday. Do you really need that tote bag, even though it is on sale? Imagine that $12.99 going into the Fun Fund.

Have you redone your budget recently? What's your best budget hint?

*More fun challenge ideas on The Family Piggy Bank every Thursday.

by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 12:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jun. 14, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Sorry, our budget has been tweaked as much as possible for the moment.

sonogal
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 7:53 PM

DH refuses to stick to a budget

chichiwvu
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 7:56 PM

We redid our budget. My best hint would be look ahead (like if you need to save for back to school shopping or christmas) and don't forget to budget it in. Also be sure to budget fun money!!! Gotta have a little bit to blow each month.

matreshka
by Platinum Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 8:10 PM
We haven't recondite our budget since its working well for us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
specialwingz
by Corey on Jun. 15, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Yep, that's us, too.  We are tweaked down to the last penny.  The best tip I have is to skinny down to only the necessities.  If you find you have "extra" after that, then set it aside for something you want.  Too many people feel the need to spend every penny they get in their hands.  Then, wonder why they don't have any when they want it.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Sorry, our budget has been tweaked as much as possible for the moment.

cara124
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 12:09 PM

have paired down the budget so much there's nothing left to relook at.... and as for my most helpful ( cheap ) tip for fun ? .... look around you at what is local and free in your area ... parks, 1$ movie days, free bowling programs for kids, discount days for water parks, lakes, rivers, creeks , summer concerts in the park... ect... we do and have fun all summer for very little money and never go more than 100miles from our home...

lillybug222
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 12:15 PM
Our budget is insanely tight, but it's partly because I make it that way. I'm determined to pay off our debt. We have about $500 disposable income each month. I make an extra $500 credit card payment. That's my only wiggle room & I'm not really willing to "play" with money instead of paying off debt.

We go to the park a lot. On the next hot day, we'll go swimming. I bought a splash pool for my girls.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 7:48 PM

We haven't redone our budget, but there is a lot of frugal fun to be had where we live.

There are a lot of free activities going on this summer at the library.

We plan on taking advantage of the Regal Cinemas $1 family movie days.

There are a few parks in the area that have splash pads.

We'd like to go berry picking this year.  The kids love doing it, and we end up with jam and desserts!  It's double-duty fun!

AzariahsMother
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 8:52 PM
No I have not done ours. We do it every 6 months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AzariahsMother
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 8:52 PM
I really like to compare whats going out vs whats coming in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)