Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A glimpse of my budget...what's yours look like?

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 5:33 PM
  • 28 Replies

Dave Ramsey says to spend EVERY penny on paper before each month. That's exactly what I do.

This is my upcoming July budget---I'll highlight bills as they're paid. If a number is written in the box, it's set up in my online bill pay, so I have almost every July & August bill scheduled to be paid. At the bottom, I've budgeted gas, groceries, savings, and extra money toward bills with balances. On the next page, I have a list off all the bills we have a balance on, so I can work on paying them off. I also have a list of bills I've already paid off.

What does your budget look like?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 5:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nellyb118
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 5:34 PM
We don't have one...dh handles the money & doesn't use a formal system like that.
I've tried to get him to but he's stubborn :-/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillybug222
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2012 at 5:41 PM
1 mom liked this
I just created a table in Word & it's so nice! I've been following this strict budget since April. I've been able to save $2000, pay an extra $500 on bills, and start making an extra $500 credit card payment each month!

Quoting nellyb118:

We don't have one...dh handles the money & doesn't use a formal system like that.

I've tried to get him to but he's stubborn :-/

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Threes.Company
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 5:43 PM
1 mom liked this

We use Quicken to track our expenses and bills.  We preview the next month before it hits and make sure unusual expenses (that don't occur monthly) are accounted for and that we cut where necessary to make it work.  We also reviist our current month to check for overages in case we need to cut further the next month to make up for defecits.

RyansMommie07
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 5:44 PM

wow... we dont have anything that impressive. we use usaa bank, and all our major bills are listed in online bill pay, so we use that pretty much. i wish we had one all fancy like that, i bet dh would love it!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Ryan and Troy are going to be Big Brothers!  Baby Boy Myers ... coming this summer!!!

lillybug222
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2012 at 6:16 PM
I use USAA also! I schedule my bills in advance. I also have a savings with them & a small emergency checking account in case something pops up I didn't account for. I created mine as a table in Microsoft Word. It wasn't difficult at all!

Quoting RyansMommie07:

wow... we dont have anything that impressive. we use usaa bank, and all our major bills are listed in online bill pay, so we use that pretty much. i wish we had one all fancy like that, i bet dh would love it!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
things4us5
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 6:50 PM

120 grandpa (he co-signed for a loan awhile back so we can build credit, only 3 months left)

701 rent

117 elec

105 gas

150 cable

70 phones

33 netflix

20 xbox live

140 car insurance

30 lawn guy (teenage kid 2x a month mows and weedwacks)

60 household needs

150 cigs

150 gas for car

75 fast food

300 food

235 shopping

140 babysitter (3 kids x 10hr x 2doc obgyn appts monthly (that SO has to drive me to), plus travel time and monthly date night/the kids are driving us nuts night= close to this)

I pad a lot of our budget though because SO is horrible w/ money. The cable and gas are both about $50 less then listed each. By all accounts we should have money left over, but like I said SO is horrible w/ money HORRIBLE. He took back over the budget a few months ago and both times w/in 10days of payday we were broke for the month.  But before I had all this, although did need to trim some of it because of unexpected large expenses.and we were never in the hole for the following month. But w/ him having control we are. I really hope he gets his raise next month, that'll help and should cover his overspending.

MAyers
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 8:01 PM
I just get a a piece of paper and dh and I sit down and go through all of the bills for the month and go from there
RubyMom0526
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 8:18 PM

I just pay bills twice a month.  Like cable is paid in half.  My DH gets paid twice a month.  We know we can store away a nice 1000.00 for emergency.  Right now I have 1200 saved but that is for our vacation in July.  So it can be done, which we will do after our trip.

AzariahsMother
by Lynsey on Jun. 27, 2012 at 8:25 PM

I have a handle it something like that, but don't focus on Dave Ramsey. 

the3Rs
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 8:27 PM
I use mint.com. Love it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)