Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

What is your best tip for saving money while preparing for baby?

Anybody that can offer their most useful tips on how best to save money while expanding your family, please post them!! They can definitely be tips on saving while prepping for little milkballs of joy, but tips for parenting and raising the little ones on a budget are welcome too!

by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 7:47 AM
Replies (11-20):
xodutchessxo
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 12:20 AM

hit the yard sales its summer time:

buy all your baby clothes, furniture, toys/swings ect you will save tons!!!

Check for birthright they will give you maternity clothes and baby items, diapers, and formula free (no income proof required)

Buy diapers now when you have the extra money.

i aint even pregnant yet and started buying baby things. its never too soon.

good luck

TresDynamiques
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Check for... what?? Birthright? I'm confused

nomadbrat83
by Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 10:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Many things you think you need or put on a registry, you never actually use or your kid will hate so don't buy so much or get it second hand. For example, with my first daughter I had a baby bjorn on my registry and someone got it for me (for those that don't know it at the time was a 100 dollar baby harness carrier). Izzy hated it and refused to use it. Baby bottle warmer barely used (bottle in coffee cup of hot water worked just as fast and well). Izzy liked a glider to sleep but hated swings. Lyssa only liked a swing lol. Cloth diapers make great burp cloths. If you can't afford a crib, a bassinet or pack and play works just as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nomadbrat83
by Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 10:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Consignment shops or craigslist is great for clothes and other baby/kid items. Shop sales and clearances with coupons or codes and you can get nice clothes for cheap. I rarely spent very much at all on kids clothes but my girls mainly wear Carter's, Children's place, old navy, Osh kosh, Gymboree, Kohls and target. Shop outlets.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sassymomntx1961
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 2:01 AM

There is freecycle,craigslist,friends or family to swap w/.Watch sales and combine coupons if at all possible.Whatever money you save is more then you would have with out coupons.Garage sales.With the lo during the 1st yr ask for clothes,diapers andything needed at Christmas,1st birthday,Easter.

GOD first ppl next things last you cant go wrong and w/ GOD and JESUS around you,you will be a a triple strand rope

xodutchessxo
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Quoting TresDynamiques:

Check for... what?? Birthright? I'm confused

in our area we have a nonprofit organization where you can go every 3 months and they will give you clothes, shoes, toys, formula, diapers, furniture, ect.

maybe there is a similar place in your area

tennisgal
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 11:08 AM

You don't need EVERY product out there. I even suggest waiting on some until you determine that you need them. With my first I had several showers (total surprise) and got so much and after I had a few little boys we used less and less simply b/c baby didn't really need to be entertained anymore b/c the family is always busy and baby was just in the middle of the commotion (like activity centers/play mat gyms/ jumparoos/ bumbo seat)

KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Jul. 3, 2012 at 2:33 PM
Accept any and all hand me downs. Even its not quite your style, you always need a spare outfit
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Jul. 3, 2012 at 2:34 PM
Stock up on diapers, but not too mucg. Babies grow fast and there are always sales. You never know if your little one will skip a size and your stuck with it. So maybe just set money aside for it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Jul. 3, 2012 at 2:34 PM
Breastfeed! Its free and its healthier than formula
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)