Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Any No Poo Mamas? *UPDATE*

I want to go no poo but I'm not quite clear on the process. What do you use? How often do you no poo? How long til your hair gets used to it? I only wash my hair once a week now. Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated. Taking my granola mama to the next level. LOL

***UPDATE***
For those of you who are confused, the No Poo Method does not mean not washing your hair. It is a natural cleansing method to wash your hair using baking soda and apple cider vinegar.

Anyways, so I did the no poo method a few days ago and I'm pretty happy with the results. It was kinda strange just rubbing this paste on my head and I was skeptical but it actually worked. The texture of my hair is a little different but it is really easy to style without any product. I'm going to stick with it and see how it goes. I'm also going to start using the oil cleansing method for my face. It only makes sense that if I wouldn't put a product in my body, that I probably shouldn't put it on my body.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 2:14 AM
Replies (131-136):
Vertical15
by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 2:41 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting 0Kit0:

No poo isn't about using nothing. It's about using vinegar in place of shampoos and conditioners for anyone I've ever heard talking about it. The transition is about the time it takes for your natural oils to get used to not being stripped by chemicals for lack of a better description.

LisaSmock
by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 8:03 PM
I wash my hair everyday and love it I'm in a towl now w8in for it to dry and I smell gr8
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AzariahsMother
by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 8:53 PM
Thats what I thought. Then I thought it was a diet.

Quoting nmaxwell816:

I am sorry when I read this first I thought we were talking Poo as in POOP

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bertie4
by Member on Jul. 15, 2012 at 9:44 PM

I can't go through all that. Guess I am too lazy!!

kleea1969
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this
I did the no poo but couldn't stick with it. My hair felt yucky so I compromised and use sulfate free shampoo and conditioner. I am doing the sulfate free for a while then am going to try the no-poo again. I figured I would gradually get my hair use to not using harsh shampoo. I have naturally curly hair and when I did the no-poo my curl was beautiful, it was the curl I had as a teen. It is definately good for your hair, it's sticking through the change that is difficult. I have a ebook with all natural no-poo recipes and can't wait to start the all no-poo again. Wen is nice too but pricey. I have a bottle that I use very sparingly. When I switch to the true no poo again I will probably use the wen every two weeks for the conditioning factors. I also read that when switching over to the no-poo that it was okay to use a tad bit of conditioner during the transition. It's mostly the shampoos that are so harsh on the hair and a little conditioner will help with the dryness and not defeat the purpose, good luck with sticking through it. From all I have heard once you get through the transition the final outcome is well worth it.
toomanygone1130
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 4:12 PM

How do you go a couple of weeks to a month with greasy hair? Doesn't it drive you nuts?

I usually only wash my hair every 3 days, I have even tried only shampooing my hair once a week. But it gets so greasy. I know the oils are good for my hair, and that's why I try not to shampoo so often, but after 3 or 4 days I just can't take it. My hair feels and looks nasty :-( And I give in and shampoo it.

Quoting HippieMomma86:

I tried to no poo but it must be my hair type because it didn't work. It cleaned my hair, but it was always so dry, even with the apple cider rinse. I gave up and have been buying herbal shampoo on Etsy, which is chemical free and I just found a recipe for coconut milk shampoo I'm going to try. It does take a while for your hair to get back to normal after not using regular shampoo. It can be greasy for a couple of weeks to a month.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)