Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Any No Poo Mamas? *UPDATE*

I want to go no poo but I'm not quite clear on the process. What do you use? How often do you no poo? How long til your hair gets used to it? I only wash my hair once a week now. Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated. Taking my granola mama to the next level. LOL

***UPDATE***
For those of you who are confused, the No Poo Method does not mean not washing your hair. It is a natural cleansing method to wash your hair using baking soda and apple cider vinegar.

Anyways, so I did the no poo method a few days ago and I'm pretty happy with the results. It was kinda strange just rubbing this paste on my head and I was skeptical but it actually worked. The texture of my hair is a little different but it is really easy to style without any product. I'm going to stick with it and see how it goes. I'm also going to start using the oil cleansing method for my face. It only makes sense that if I wouldn't put a product in my body, that I probably shouldn't put it on my body.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 2:14 AM
Replies (91-100):
atthezoo
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Quoting kimberhd74:

I have the greasiest hair in the world.. never used to be.. but abt 3 yrs ago it started getting really bad.. I go 2 to 3 days without washing my hair but honestly, after the first day, its so gross. And my hair is thin so this makes it 10 times worse.. would no poo-ing even help?

Yes it will.  I honestly think I may have had the greasiest hair in the world.  When first starting I would use ab0ut 1/2 cup baking soda and enough water t0 make a paste.  Use fingertips t0 massage this int0 scalp.  Put  more baking soda mixture and massage longer where hair feels greasiest.  Wash abut every three days f0r the first 3 weeks. After 3 weeks try going 5-7 days between washing. 

The first  2 times you wash with baking soda use straight apple cider vinegar f0r a rinse.  Takes abut a 1/2 a cup s0 rinse 0ut baking soda with warm water then slowly starting at top 0f head pour apple cider vinegar.  Use fingers t0 make sure all hair is covered.  This will help get rid 0f 0il.

0K, after the first 2 rinses being d0ne that way the 0ilyness should be more under control already. What I used after that was 21/2 cups water and 1/4 cup ACV  as my new rinse.(sh0 uld last a while)  This has worked well f0r me.

When I used t0 rinse my hair it would take s0 much conditioner and still be hard t0 c0mb.  Using ACV as a conditioner is like a miracle.  The oily l00k is g0ne my hair l00ks thicker and n0t greasy at all.

I did want t0 mention my hair felt funny abut day 7.  It did n0t l00k funny just felt funny. N0t oily but different.  This only lasted a few days.  If y0u stick it 0ut it will be w0rth it.  G00d luck!!

atthezoo
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Quoting tigerlily:

Ok i'm going to assume those of you that do this don't use any styling products.

Right! but I d0 n0t need t0 as I my hair will hold many styles without them.

jadensmommy2010
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 11:46 PM
I couldn't have said it better than bupkie. As I read through this "no poo" thread I am amazed at how silly it is. Who cares if your hair is into oil overdrive? Wash it everyday and it won't matter. If you are worried about chemicals, find a sulfate/harsh chemical free version. What is this world coming to? All I can say is I can only dream of having enough time to think up these crazy ideas, make up these baking soda mixes, and post it on CafeMom.

Quoting bupkie:

It always amazes me how people think that their hair "adjusts" by not washing their hair.  You know what adjusts?  Your sense of smell... it's called olafactory sense.  You actually lose the ability to perceive and distinguish your own odor.   I've been around many who proudly say "I don't need to wash my hair every day!"  And the rest of us are smelling... Oh, honey.. yes, yes you DO!    It's just that no one will tell you that you do.  Your family members have adjusted to your smell.  Others are just to kind to tell you.     Everyone has their own scent.  Some are more musky than others.   I happen to have a more sensitive nose... and I can't tell you how gross it is to be near someone - either in line, in church, or wherever... and they need to wash their hair.    

I use all natural, sulfate-free shampoo and rinse with just a tiny bit of conditioner - every day.  My hair is baby soft and smells great - I love it!   ;)     

Just sayin' what I wish so many would come out and say.... For heaven's sake, use Sulfate free shampoos/ Conditioners and soaps!    

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Orange7
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 11:59 PM
I use Wen. It is awesome!!!!!!
I buy it from QVC
bensgal4
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Try Wen, its a conditioner but it is a cleanser as well without the soap.  Its expensive but does work...

mamabearlehman
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 1:16 AM
1 mom liked this
What do you think people use to do back in the day? I don't think exploring all the options and trying to reduce water pollution is "silly". If you don't like it, then don't do it. I am looking for info on a subject I am intersted in.

Quoting jadensmommy2010:

I couldn't have said it better than bupkie. As I read through this "no poo" thread I am amazed at how silly it is. Who cares if your hair is into oil overdrive? Wash it everyday and it won't matter. If you are worried about chemicals, find a sulfate/harsh chemical free version. What is this world coming to? All I can say is I can only dream of having enough time to think up these crazy ideas, make up these baking soda mixes, and post it on CafeMom.

Quoting bupkie:

It always amazes me how people think that their hair "adjusts" by not washing their hair.  You know what adjusts?  Your sense of smell... it's called olafactory sense.  You actually lose the ability to perceive and distinguish your own odor.   I've been around many who proudly say "I don't need to wash my hair every day!"  And the rest of us are smelling... Oh, honey.. yes, yes you DO!    It's just that no one will tell you that you do.  Your family members have adjusted to your smell.  Others are just to kind to tell you.     Everyone has their own scent.  Some are more musky than others.   I happen to have a more sensitive nose... and I can't tell you how gross it is to be near someone - either in line, in church, or wherever... and they need to wash their hair.    

I use all natural, sulfate-free shampoo and rinse with just a tiny bit of conditioner - every day.  My hair is baby soft and smells great - I love it!   ;)     

Just sayin' what I wish so many would come out and say.... For heaven's sake, use Sulfate free shampoos/ Conditioners and soaps!    

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
puggylove10
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 1:21 AM
So love the smell of that stuff

Quoting mizluvlei:

I just Cowash using all natural Coconut Cowash by As I Am which is sulfate and paraben free. I use there Cleansing Pudding when I need a deep cleansing like after my Grams Surprise Dinner I had my hair styles so there was more product in my hair then normal. I wash my hair about every 10 days
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Randomly_me_LC
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 1:22 AM
i have ion no sulfate shampoo so i use mine every few days
DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Jul. 14, 2012 at 1:33 AM
Wow this blew up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabearlehman
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 1:45 AM
1 mom liked this
I know! I was shocked at how many replies this got. I am just trying to be more frugal and eco-friendly.

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Wow this blew up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)