Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

have you started your winter holiday shopping yet (christmas, Hanukkah you know.)

Posted by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 5:38 PM
  • 30 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: have you started your holiday shopping yet?

Options:

Yes, I'm done!

Yes, I've started

Not really, but thinking of ideas

are you kidding!? NO! it's not The night before yet!

nope- I buy it all on Black Friday

other- please explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 50

View Results

I keep my eye open all year, but I usually start buying things by the 4th of July. One reason is things like American girl doll stuff often sells out my Halloween or gets hard to find. I don't like to settle. I want first pick on things, and I want to be able to relax when I make choices.

that and I worked retail for many years, and a big display of things like digital tire gagues could sit there all year long. But then sure enough, December would hit and people would be upset that they were all gone.

this is about the only thing in the world that I am that organized on. it just seems to worth it to avoid the headaches.

I got a little more flexable when I started shopping with DH. He loves the day after Thanksgiving shopping!

I'll never forget the year I realized we could probably score the doorbuster big screen TV they were featuring. I came up to Hubby and asked if he thought we could  get one. it was a great deal! one guy even started to tear up when he heard me! Word spread along the line, men were coming up to my husband to see if it was so!

"really? your wife actually asked you about getting the big tv? " then they shook his hand and told him "pal, you are a VERY lucky man! " LOL

by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 5:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
trekkiechic
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 5:39 PM

I do a little all year so I don't get stuck with a bunch needing to be done in December

sonogal
by Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 5:48 PM

This has been such a crazy year I am having a hard time even thinking of Christmas!  Got some ideas for my boys (both adults)

tatinbriansmom
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 8:23 PM
1 mom liked this
I love shopping on black Friday. I found so many great deals at target last year. I don't think I'm giving my kids toys this year though. Maybe I'll buy them a flat screen for their room. I'm so tired of the mess.
specialwingz
by Corey on Jul. 13, 2012 at 8:25 PM

We have actually talked about it.  And, we've started a list of things to watch for.  I think SO has already picked up and stashed a few things.

chinosruca
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 8:30 PM
Kai is getting all gift cards & an all day shopping pass with mommy (I will provide transportation, buy lunch, get some Starbucks, and be patient as she spends her money).

Bella will be 2 and not old enough to want or need "the best". She will get lots of cheap toys, clothes, and whatever I find on clearance right before Christmas that she might like or need.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Diatech12
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 8:36 PM
I've started for dd1s 5th birthday in sept but not holidays.
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 13, 2012 at 8:39 PM

I've got my list started!  I do most of my shopping online, so I'll wait until October or November to start purchasing.

new.identity
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 6:44 AM
I'm starting in September, after the back to school shopping next month.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shivasgirl
by Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 6:50 AM
1 mom liked this

we do not do gifts..the kids get one gift from Santa and that is it..we spend our Christmas morning delivering Meals on Wheels..we are instilling the spirit of giving into our kids rather than getting...my kids love it, they get more pleasure out of leaving Santa his sandwich or meal (we dont do cookies because everyone else does) and then they cant wait until they deliver the meals

lyrick24
by Melissa on Jul. 14, 2012 at 6:58 AM

i usually start around october. we only buy for the grandkids so i dont have to worry about anyone else. i usually go to toys r us and get everything.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)