Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

How Do You Clean a Self Cleaning Oven?

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 5:05 PM
  • 9 Replies

Okay, seriously, don't laugh.

I am ashamed.

I've never cleaned my own oven and I don't know how =/ Just turn the knobs and leave it? How long does it take? Will I know when its done? Then what?? I heard its really stinky? I should do it at night? How often SHOULD I be doing this??

HELP!!!

(don't beat me, be gentle lol)

by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 5:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
dclocalmedia
by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 5:33 PM

I'm not a guru of this, but our oven has a bar that locks the door shut. You close that bar, then turn it on "self-clean" and it does the rest. The oven gets REALLY hot, and burns off all the mess. The mess settles as fine ash on the bottom of the stove. It takes several hours, and sometimes it smells a bit, but not really that much. I only do it during the day in case there is an issue. Once it's done, it turns off and the door stays locked until the inside of the oven has cooled down. Then I just remove the tray and clean it, and wah-la, I have a clean oven. I clean it about every 4-6 months, when it's messy.

Of course, you should check on your own stove and read your stove's manual to be sure. If you can't find the manual, google it. Most are available free online.

Hope this helps!

WildCat73
by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 5:35 PM

i hit the button that says clean, and it locks the door then it does it 1 -3 hours. It stays locked until cool enough.

RosePetalTears
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Quoting dclocalmedia:

I'm not a guru of this, but our oven has a bar that locks the door shut. You close that bar, then turn it on "self-clean" and it does the rest. The oven gets REALLY hot, and burns off all the mess. The mess settles as fine ash on the bottom of the stove. It takes several hours, and sometimes it smells a bit, but not really that much. I only do it during the day in case there is an issue. Once it's done, it turns off and the door stays locked until the inside of the oven has cooled down. Then I just remove the tray and clean it, and wah-la, I have a clean oven. I clean it about every 4-6 months, when it's messy.

Of course, you should check on your own stove and read your stove's manual to be sure. If you can't find the manual, google it. Most are available free online.

Hope this helps!

i second this!  And mine usually runs about 4.5 hrs around 500 degrees.   I wouldn't do it until later at night so you don't cook your house. 

Make sure you move your butter! lol.  

I clean mine in the fall/winter/early spring and avoid cleaning it in the summer if possible. It heat my house up way too much

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 15, 2012 at 6:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I just use baking soda and a nylon scrubbie rather than use a ton of electricity to heat the oven for hours then try to cool off the rest of my house.

chrissysnow22
by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 6:36 PM
I agree!

Quoting michiganmom116:

I just use baking soda and a nylon scrubbie rather than use a ton of electricity to heat the oven for hours then try to cool off the rest of my house.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Jul. 15, 2012 at 7:20 PM

You're my friend IRL, you are NOT supposed to see this!! Haha

Quoting RosePetalTears:

Quoting dclocalmedia:

Hope this helps!

i second this!  And mine usually runs about 4.5 hrs around 500 degrees.   I wouldn't do it until later at night so you don't cook your house. 

I clean mine in the fall/winter/early spring and avoid cleaning it in the summer if possible. It heat my house up way too much

RosePetalTears
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 9:00 AM

LMAO.  tough!

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

You're my friend IRL, you are NOT supposed to see this!! Haha

Quoting RosePetalTears:

Quoting dclocalmedia:

Hope this helps!

JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 9:26 AM

It depends on the oven, but most of them you just push the button and leave it.  It takes several hours.  I usually do it right before bed so it cleans overnight because I don't like the smell.

specialwingz
by Corey on Jul. 16, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Various makes have different cycles.  But, with mine, I just remove the racks (a must do) and set it to clean.  I have a light clean setting and a heavy clean setting, depending on how heavily the oven is soiled.  I don't have to clean mine very often as I usually use methods that avoid spill overs, etc.  I have never had to clean mine in the summer.  Most of my summer cooking is done outside on the grill.  Once it's done cleaning, wipe out the ashy residue with a damp rag.

I've cleaned my oven only once so far.  I've had it about a year-ish.  I cleaned it in the winter so the heat was no big deal.  It actually helped heat the house.  LOL.  I had roasted a leg of lamb which tends to spatter a lot.  So, SO wanted to see how well it cleaned itself.  Did a great job!

I would never run the cleaning cycle and leave the house or run it at night while I'm sleeping.  Although, I am sure it's fairly safe, it gets so hot that I feel the need to be around and aware.  I just get paranoid and want to be around in the event something happened.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)