Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

This bugs me.....

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 2:53 PM
  • 18 Replies

I have a friend who, on Facebook, asked for an easy way to personalize her daughter's sippy cup for daycare - I told her to write their name on the bottom of the cup in black sharpie....

She came back with the idea that it would start to look crappy after a few washes (b/c RE-writing the name is an unusual concept...)  and all of her friends are sending her overly expensive crap for her to buy to personalize a sippy cup, none of which are less than $12, plus shipping, even a $30 personalized cup from Pottery Barn Kids....it's just frustrating to see the intense desire to over-spend just to have what everyone else has....ugh....

And I may be overreacting, sorry....pregnancy hormones at work.....

by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 2:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2chasenkori
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 2:54 PM
I agree with you. Sometimes I just have to tell myself to mind my own business and it's not my money so why should I care? It's hard though lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nmaxwell816
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 2:56 PM

I agree..Everyone is so caught up in keeping up with the Jone's!

signingmama2915
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 3:02 PM
Yep

Quoting mom2chasenkori:

I agree with you. Sometimes I just have to tell myself to mind my own business and it's not my money so why should I care? It's hard though lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KimmyShaw
by Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 3:11 PM

*shrugs* nope, doesn't bother me but I am one who likes to go all for my DD.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 24, 2012 at 3:19 PM
2 moms liked this
Sharpies are permanent on just about every surface, and I've done some pretty calligraphy with mine....just sayin'
DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Jul. 24, 2012 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow, some people are never happy. With my oldest, I was lucky my grandma babysat him. Sharpie was a great idea.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BeachLifeMama
by Beachy on Jul. 24, 2012 at 4:46 PM
I feel the same way.

Quoting mom2chasenkori:

chrisnjoesmom
Getting ready for the WW open house Saturday! Hope they like my decorations!
Yesterday at 8:49 PM
by Adrienne on Jul. 24, 2012 at 5:51 PM

LOL to me that's a huge waste of money but some people like to waste their hard earned money on nonsense.....

Suzukigirl710
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 6:42 PM
1 mom liked this

She could always buy a bag of those realy wide rubber bands and then write the name on it.  That way when she washes them, she just slips the rubber band off, and voila! it is still like new.  Maybe cost 2.99? for the rubberbands.  And you would have a ton of them!

ashybaby87
by Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 7:35 PM

That is an awesome idea! I would have never thought of that.

To answer the OP question: It doesn't bother me because it's not my business what they spend their money on. I could say I wouldn't spend that much money on personalizing things though. Especially when a lot of sites you can find to personalize cups cheap if you really need it or of course sharpies worked fine for me as a kid. I'm sure by now they have crafting markers like paint markers that would work just as well too.

Quoting Suzukigirl710:

She could always buy a bag of those realy wide rubber bands and then write the name on it.  That way when she washes them, she just slips the rubber band off, and voila! it is still like new.  Maybe cost 2.99? for the rubberbands.  And you would have a ton of them!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)