Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Do you sometime wish to sew your own clothes?

Posted by   + Show Post

I am always too tired finding  the right fit and modest clothing. I am thinking of buying a sewing machine. I don't know if its a good idea...anyone had an experience with this? Is it a bad idea? Any suggestions? I have two kids and one is an infant, I don't think i would ever have time to do it...how long does it take to learn?

Thanks!

by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 9:55 AM
Replies (51-56):
Nikkij-j
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 3:25 PM
1 mom liked this

That's the nice thing about having the internet, you can learn just about anything ... for free.  Try you tube videos.

Quoting hira12:

Atleast you can fix..so far I get my mom to fix my stuff by hand..I have these Pakistani clothes long shirts..sometimes they are tight from the chest or hips or ofcourse my belly ..my mom fixes it..I hv no clue who will do it for me after..

Quoting Nikkij-j:

I have always loved to sew.  When I had my first, I wanted to make all her clothes but realized, it's really cheaper to buy clothes for her at Walmart or Goodwill than to make her everything.  Sewing can be really easy, but with 3 kids now and very little money, I don't do it.  Now, I use my sewing machine to fix clothes, or to upcycle tshirts.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:55 PM
1 mom liked this

i wish i could...maybe one day

Jeckers
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 3:34 PM

I use to sew a few outfits for my daughter when she was 2 or 3.  But it can be expensive depending on the type of material you buy.  And it it kind of hard to sew nicer outfits that don't look like a potato sack!!  LOL!  I mean look at some of the clothes you own now.  Levi's are a thicker material and look at the hem's on a pair of plain old jeans or pants.  Good luck if you try and make your own clothes.  :)  Watch a few episodes of project runway! They make their own patterns and easily spend $100 per outfit.  

One time I decided to make a medieval dress for my daughter.  Ended up spending close to $100 on the material needed for her dress!!!!  It was beautiful, but $100 bucks!!!  I think the material was like $15 a yard and I needed 5 or 6 yards.  Not including the lace, thread and zippers.  

SuperWoman8
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 4:06 PM

then hop to it missy! I expect a report! if I'm going to get off my touchie and get sewing then I expect you to do so as well! :)

Quoting hira12:

and I am not consistent with anything i start..

Quoting a_and_j_momma:

I am too lazy lol

hira12
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 4:52 PM

When I am in a situation like this I like to sing " Each day is something new, so many things to do...im Calliou!" :D This should be a mommy song!

Quoting SuperWoman8:

then hop to it missy! I expect a report! if I'm going to get off my touchie and get sewing then I expect you to do so as well! :)

Quoting hira12:

and I am not consistent with anything i start..

Quoting a_and_j_momma:

I am too lazy lol

hira12
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 4:58 PM

I already am a potato sack with any type of clothing..yea i used to love project runway! Awesome show..

Well with your daughter's dress you choice was a hard one...I think people buy in bulk to safe..otherwise buying all the raw material for clothing is pretty expensive...do you have the dress picture? :D

Quoting Jeckers:

I use to sew a few outfits for my daughter when she was 2 or 3.  But it can be expensive depending on the type of material you buy.  And it it kind of hard to sew nicer outfits that don't look like a potato sack!!  LOL!  I mean look at some of the clothes you own now.  Levi's are a thicker material and look at the hem's on a pair of plain old jeans or pants.  Good luck if you try and make your own clothes.  :)  Watch a few episodes of project runway! They make their own patterns and easily spend $100 per outfit.  

One time I decided to make a medieval dress for my daughter.  Ended up spending close to $100 on the material needed for her dress!!!!  It was beautiful, but $100 bucks!!!  I think the material was like $15 a yard and I needed 5 or 6 yards.  Not including the lace, thread and zippers.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)