Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

I keep seeing DIY hand soap made from bar soap. Has anyone tried this yet?

by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 6:26 PM
Replies (11-17):
JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 8:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting gmmgy:

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

I'd be interested in trying it.  How do you do it?

Go to thefarmersnest.com, choose DIY and it's half way down the page.

Cool!  Thank you!

mammapav
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 5:39 AM

Quoting gmmgy:

Quoting mammapav:

What is it ???   Do you make liquid hand soap with a bar of soap or is it something else??????

Yes. A 50 cent bar of soap makes a gallon of liquid hand soap. Easy recipe, mostly waiting time. And now I realize that there is no cent sign anywhere on a computer keyboard. When did that happen?

May I Please have the Recipe ??

Amy127
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 8:33 AM
1 mom liked this
I just made body wash, I would think u could put it in a hand soap pump too. I just grated a bar of dial soap I had on hand and melted it into a opt of water. Added it to a gallon jug and filled the rest with water. It thickens and gels overnight.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gmmgy
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 12:23 PM

I found a recipe on thefarmersnest.com. Click on the DIY and then scroll halfway down the page. It has a step by step recipe with pics, but I have not had the opportunity to try it out yet.

Quoting mammapav:

Quoting gmmgy:

Quoting mammapav:

What is it ???   Do you make liquid hand soap with a bar of soap or is it something else??????

Yes. A 50 cent bar of soap makes a gallon of liquid hand soap. Easy recipe, mostly waiting time. And now I realize that there is no cent sign anywhere on a computer keyboard. When did that happen?

May I Please have the Recipe ??

gmmgy
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Quoting Amy127:

I just made body wash, I would think u could put it in a hand soap pump too. I just grated a bar of dial soap I had on hand and melted it into a opt of water. Added it to a gallon jug and filled the rest with water. It thickens and gels overnight.

Really, that was it?! Everything I can find online says to use glycerine. I don't really know what the glycerine is for, or where I'm supposed to buy it. So doing it your way, without the glycerine, do you have to shake it up before each use or anything like that?

Amy127
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 12:47 PM
1 mom liked this
It didn't work out too well. I had literally just made it when I.posted that comment. I put it in an old bottle and tried it that night. It was too runny and didn't lather like regular body wash would. I'm going to try it as handsoap. Maybe the glycerin either thickens it or makes it lather. I really don't know, just came across it while browsing homemade things and thought j would try it.

Quoting gmmgy:

Quoting Amy127:

Really, that was it?! Everything I can find online says to use glycerine. I don't really know what the glycerine is for, or where I'm supposed to buy it. So doing it your way, without the glycerine, do you have to shake it up before each use or anything like that?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Aug. 2, 2012 at 1:45 PM

nope

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN