Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 2:53 AM
  • 3 Replies

Hi - I'm a single mom of two girls, ages 16 and almost 12....I was laid off from my full time job which I've had for the last 9 years, only one month after I moved back near family after my ex went to chase his college sweetheart....I am looking to start my own business, I had thought of it before, but I wasn't walking away from a regular paycheck, but now things are different, the economy is different, and I'm finding that I have too much experience for what people want to hire employees, the ads are all looking for people with 1 or 2 years experience, so I'm going out on my own, and I definitely want to learn to be more frugal, especially with food, there's too much waste in my house.  I know starting a business means times will be leaner, and I'm lucky to have a little bit of a cushion, but learning to be more frugal will only help!  Thanks!

by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 2:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
crazynlove78
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 2:56 AM
Hello. Idk if you'd have time but coupons save me a ton of Money. May be something you could look into. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chrissysnow22
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 3:27 AM
Hi, welcome to the group. I'm Chrissy. I'm sorry to hear about your job but am glad that you have another plan.

As far as being frugal my tips are:

Meal plan. It will save you time, and money.

Cook from scratch. It's better for you, it's much less waste and it tastes great. Oh it's a great money saver too.

Make your own everything. Just about anything you buy you can make. I make everything from laundry detergent to carpet freshner.

Couponing even a little bit saves lots
Over time.

Plan all of your errands around the same time so you don't waste extra gas.

Shop thrift stores for all kinds of stuff.

Hope that's helpful. If you need any help, or recipes just let me know. Again welcome.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 3:34 AM

Welcome to the group!  Sorry about your job, but congratulations on starting your own business!  You'll find lots of great info in here!  :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)