Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

We moved to Texas from Missouri in June.  I am used to big ass gas bills in the winter but always had that on budget billing in MO.  My electric bill for last month was $300.  with the other utilities I am paying almost $450 for everything.  We owned our house in MO and now are renting a duplex in TX.  What are some things to help lower my bill since I can't do anything permanent to windows etc.  I had my thermostat set on 78.  I turned it up to 80.  We are using ceiling fans during the day.  I knew it was going to be higher because rates are higher here but I want to get this under control as much as possible.  My first month here we only paid $300 total for all utilities. 

by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 11:36 AM
Replies (21-30):
Unicorn1110
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 12:29 AM

I know everyone is suffering due to this heat wave and drought. I am so glad I live in a century that has ac and electric. If your hot water is electric turn it down and limit shower time. Wrap your water heater also. Run your dishwasher at night and make sure its full. Same with your washer. Don't do small loads only full ones. Use the door that does not face the sun during the heat of the day. Try keeping rooms closed off that your not using depending on your set up. We lived in a house that was lined up well so we kept them open but our house now has been added on so does not line up well. We would put a fan facing outwards and it would pull the air through the house. If you have floor registers take them out and clean them. Try to clean as far down as you can. I use the thingy for my dryer vent. Inspect your basement if you have one to make sure no holes or leaks in your venting system. Replace or repair. might also have your ac serviced if its a outside unit. Good Luck. Winter will be here before you know it.

sleepymommy87
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 1:27 AM
Wow I live in an apt and my electric bill never goes over $40. We don't have AC but it's nice sized 2 bd 2 ba. We have our tv, ps3 and computers running all the time plus washer dryer and dishwasher that is running pretty much every day. Dang I'd cry if my electric bill was that high!
Quantumnerd
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 2:21 AM

I use to have bills that were 280.00 in summer, when I first moved in. Since then I read up on how to save electricity useage.  And I've gone down by half from last year during the same month!!!  What I do is set my thermostat at 83 and leave it there.  When you move it around a lot that makes your bill shoot up.  Use some black out curtains on your windows especially ones that get the afternoon sun. (Inexpensive and they hook onto your drapes you have up already)   Unplug everything when not in use, microwave, coffee pot, lamps, cell phone chargers.  All that really adds up.

My smallest electric bill was 43.00 that was a great month lol.  Make sure your windows seal well, if they don't you can get some caulk and fix the gaps.  Also they make rubber gizmo's for the bottom of your doors that seal out heat.  Very inexpensive.  Make sure your water heater has a jacket on it. (special cover they make to hold heat in)

What I did is take the energy saving quiz on my electric company site, and they will tell you what you can do to improve your electric useage.  Turn your computer off at night.  And make sure that you also turn off the power surge plug if that's what you use. 

Switch your incandescent light bulbs to cfl (compact flourescent lightbulbs) the twisty looking ones lol. 

Hmm, if I think of more tips I'll post them.  Good Luck I hope this helps.

barefootmommi
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 10:01 AM
Sheesh ours is like a hundred somthing I do line dry my clothes m turn out lights but other then that
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
natalias925
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 11:10 AM
Here in NW Florida I have to keep the AC on most of the time because of the humidity and the effect it would have on clothes and cloth furniture if I didn't. My bill was like250 this month so I feel ya!
I keep the temp at 80 and if you have the humidity issues there that I do here I got a few of the "Damp Rid" contraptions and keep them in prone areas like closets and such.
I second the cock pot, BBQ, and cold food meals! When I do have to bake or cook I try and do it at night, crack a window in the kitchen and cook for the next couple days at one time.
Keep the light off use as much natural light as possible.
Wash most clothing that you can on coldest setting possible. Hang dry.
I let my twins bath together, and limiting the time for the showers the othe kids take. They mostly ply around in there if they go past 5-10 minutes anyway!
I also keep my fridge and freezer on the lowest possible setting (but keep it safely cold).
Its actually better to use your dishwasher to wash dishes then wash them by hand! I read a study that showed most modern dishwasher use way less energy then just the hit water you use to wash by hand.
I am renting too and can't really weather proof here, so for sliding glass doors I keep those heat saver thing at the bottom, or use old sheets or towels.
Also, rooms that are used less during the day, or just don't need to be cooled, close them off during the day and shut the ac Vent to them. My 3 year old rarely stays in this room at night or durning the day, so I shut the vent and the door. When he does go in tere I just turn the fan on for him and leave the door open.
Hope that helps!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Joinjennie
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 6:57 PM

I am not trying to market here or anything but I have lived in Texas all my life.....about 5 months ago I was introduced to my life saver........

I can actually email proof if I need to.......My Electric bills in the summer has always hit $300 to $500 because I have upstairs/downstairs and run 2 central units!!!

Now that I have started the business I am in, it not only dropped under $250 I have also learned how to get it for FREE!!!

I wish you all the best of luck but if you want help let me know!!

LorennaL
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 9:27 AM
Our electric was 290 this month. We live in NYC- rent and it's not in the best condition we only have window units and only use them. When it's super hot. If its cooler inside than outside, we use fans in windows instead. Kids are visiting their dad, so didn't put a/c in their rooms, but on the few hot nights when they were here, they slept on our floor or the couches.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Moki75
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 5:03 PM

well it went down to 360 total.  225 of that electrcity.  69 for water...the rest is for trash and sewer and other charges.  so I got it to go down a bit but not as much as I hope to get it next month.

laurag8707
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Wow thats nutty

laurag8707
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Plus everything into a surge protector and then when things are not in use unplug the surge protector I read 25% of your electric bill is things that are left plugged in when they are not in use. Who knew?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)