Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about making laundry soap (stupid question)

Posted by   + Show Post

What do you make it in? I mean it seems to call for a large quantity of liquid, what do you make it in?

by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 9:03 AM
Replies (21-24):
Luv_my_hubby
by Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 1:06 AM

I do this same thing. I do have a 5 gallon bucket next to my washer/dryer. Not a biggie for us since we have stacked HE machines.

Quoting artistic_kitty:

I make liquid laundry detergent. It starts on the stove in a stock pot that is only used for making soap using 1 grated bar of Fels-Naptha soap, 1 cup borax, 1 cup washing soda, and 6 cups water. Cook until soap is melted. Then I pour the soap mix into a 5 gallon bucket and fill it the rest of the way with water. Let it sit over night in the bucket. Next day stir the soap mix really well. Then I take gallon jugs and fill each half way with soap mix from the bucket and half with water. So each batch of soap makes 10 gallons of laundry detergent. I shake the gallon jugs before each use because the soap will congeal some.

-Top Load Machine- 5/8 Cup per load (Approx. 180 loads)

-Front Load Machines- ΒΌ Cup per load (Approx. 640 loads)

gumeshoe
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 8:59 AM
1 mom liked this

My first trial run was for 1/5th the receipe. I didn't dilute it and it made 2 gallons. But I still got tired of shaking it. It always separated before I was done with those 2 gallons. I would grate 1/5ths of the bar and bag them in vacuum bags, so it didn't smell up the house.

Got to searching the internet and found someone that didn't put all that water in it and made it into a paste. Makes it into a fluffy paste that never separates and takes up a lot less room. I have made it this way twice. Only ehh thing is cleaning the blender. Cleaning it twice seems to do the trick.

http://thewhitesilkpurse.blogspot.com/2010/10/laundry-soap.html

jessicaaris
by Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 8:47 PM
You could double up on a "batch" though right? I have a family of 5, plus 2 more that are staying with us temporarily so we go through a lot.

Quoting 907PickleMom:

Quoting jessicaaris:

Also how long does that last?

Quoting 907PickleMom:

I always made the powder version because it is so much easier. Grate 1 bar Fels Naptha soap, 1 cup Borax, 1 cup washing soda, 1 cup baking soda. Mix together. 2-5 tbsp per load depending on HE washer, heavy soil, etc.

For a family of 3 with cloth diapers it lasted just under a month. And it takes about 10 min to make so either way it's not bad.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
907PickleMom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 2:08 AM

You could make as many batches as you needed!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)