Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Women Shouldn't Fear IUDs for Birth Control -- Especially Now That They're Free! How do you feel about IUDs?

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 1:20 PM
  • 56 Replies

Women Shouldn't Fear IUDs for Birth Control -- Especially Now That They're Free!

Posted by Maressa Brown on August 3, 2012 

woman deciding between pill and condomNow that the road just got a little bit clearer for women (at least those with private insurance) to obtain preventative health care without a hefty co-pay, thanks to the Affordable Care Act, everyone's raving about how their birth control pills will be free. And that's awesome for the ladies who don't mind hormonal birth control (and all its side effects and potential side effects), but the enactment of the reform actually offers an awesome opportunity to take a second look at a different form of birth control -- one that's totally hormone-free.

As it turns out, use of intrauterine devices (IUDs) has been on the rise over the past few years, as more American women are choosing IUDs and contraceptive implants over the pill and condoms, according to a new national study. That's the good news.

The bad is that the numbers are still way lower than in other countries -- only 8.5 percent of us chose an IUD or implant over other forms of birth control in '09 vs. one-quarter of women in France and Norway! -- due to outdated misconceptions about the device. Like that they can cause pelvic infection and infertility. Agh. So not true!

In fact, the IUD hasn't been associated with such threats since the '70s when women got the first model called the Dalkon Shield. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) have endorsed IUDs and implants, which these days include the hormonal IUD Mirena, the copper-T IUD ParaGard (which gets rave reviews from women I know who have it!), and Implanon (a progestin-only hormonal implant). All of these have a much lower rate of unintended pregnancy than the pill or condoms. And for young women, IUDs are 20 times (!!!) more effective in pregnancy prevention than the freakin', libido-killing, blood clot risk-raising pill! (That's because it's a "set and forget" method.)

And yet ... 30 percent of docs aren't recommending them to younger women who have never had kids, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, because they're hung up on some antiquated, disproven issues from 30+ years ago. Ugh! It's enough to make you want to bang your head against the wall.

But being that cost-sharing for the device (which used to be a few hundred bucks) will soon be nil, it'll definitely be worth putting up a fight with any health care provider who tries to steer you away from the form of birth control that suits you best.

How do you feel about IUDs?

by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 1:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Aug. 5, 2012 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this
I hated the iud. I will NEVER try another one and will never recommend it. In fact I hate all forms of birth control. I've tried several. It messes by body up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Aug. 5, 2012 at 2:13 PM
I did the research and iud wasn't for me. Did get a tubal which I want reversed so I can move on with my life.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 5, 2012 at 2:15 PM
6 moms liked this

The fact that they're free doesn't negate the risks associated with IUDs.  No thanks.

kit_manson
by Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 2:16 PM
3 moms liked this

Actually, women should fear IUDs. At least, they should fear the mirena.

Dabberdoo
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 3:07 PM
2 moms liked this

Yet another informative article about birth control that doesn't discuss the risks or even give a link to an informational site about the risks of the said birth control.  Some things are worse than an unplanned pregnancy.  My fear of IUDs has nothing to do with the cost of an IUD.

matreshka
by Platinum Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 3:19 PM

I had the mirena and it was awful.  I was in constant pain and bleeding, not spotting for 6 weeks when I got it out.  There is a class action lawsuit against them now because some women have had it go through the lining of their uterus and other complications.

I would never recommend an IUD to anyone.

JudesAwsomeMom
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Quoting michiganmom116:

The fact that they're free doesn't negate the risks associated with IUDs.  No thanks.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elijahXmom
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 3:25 PM
I had a copper iud for 4 years because I knew I didn't want to be on hormones and I didn't more want kids. My bleeding and craps were worst but came back to normal at 4-6 month mark. It the lowest fail rate then more other forms of birth control.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SourRoses
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 3:26 PM

i wanted one after i had my second child, but OBGYN told my my tubes were too small and that it would be painful. i knew i wanted no more children but an IUD insured i was able to change my mind in the future, but since i couldn't get an IUD and i wasn't comfortable with any other form of BC i had permanent BC Essure put in. i am confident i will not change my mind about wanting another baby. i know i made the right choice but if i could have had an IUD i would have.

Dragonmamas
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 3:28 PM
People are so set on getting everything for free that they don't look into the reasons that they should fear the iuds. Sad...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)