Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Frogs or lizards as a pet??

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 9:12 AM
  • 10 Replies

It's my son's birthday coming up and I know he would really love a pet, his favorite thing is frogs, but how are they as pets? Do you have to feed them bugs?  It seems kind of mean to me to keep a creature meant to jump around in a little aquarium.  Have any of you had a frog or lizard as a pet, what do you recommend or what warnings do you have for me, lol.  Thanks!

by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 9:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
specialwingz
by Corey on Aug. 8, 2012 at 9:55 AM

I raised toads as a kid.  I'd bring the little tadpoles home from the creek, watch them swim around in a pie dish till they grew legs.  Then they went into an aquarium that was filled with about 2" of dirt, a little pond made out of a flat dish, rocks and plants.  I went out in the garden every night and found roly-polies for them to eat.  This was in the day before pet stores sold fancy foods and crickets.  LOL.

Toads are pretty low maintenance.  Now, frogs?  I never had one.  But, they are a bit more high maintenance in the fact they need a higher humidity level habitat and more specific food (I think).  You can always ask a clerk at the pet store.  Ask for one who is familiar with the amphibians.

We have had lizards as pets.  We've had Mediteranean Geckos and Green Anoles before.  They require a desert type habitat.  We had an aquarium lined with sand and topped with a substrate from the pet store.  They had a log to climb and bask upon under the necessary light (as they need it for warmth since they are cold blooded).  We made a little pond from a shallow dish so they had water to drink.  Make sure your habitat has a screen lid.  They WILL crawl out!  We fed them crickets from the pet store.  Again, someone at the pet store should know about the lizards and their needs.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 11:04 AM
My kids keep catching the little tiny frogs in our yard and trying to bring them in the house, but I won't let them. LOL! All I know is, certain times of the year they are flat LOUD.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Aug. 8, 2012 at 1:02 PM

i have never had either as a pet

chrisnjoesmom
by Adrienne on Aug. 8, 2012 at 6:22 PM
I changed my mind. I looked at them at the pet store and they all gave me the creeps. And my son would probably freak out to feed them so I'd have to. He has no idea I was thinking of getting him this so it's ok. Oh and also the start up kits are $80 without buying the actual pet!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AzariahsMother
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Not sure, I would google.

tatinbriansmom
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 8:30 PM
I had two miniature frogs and they were great. I loved them. They didn't require much space since they were so little and cute. I forgot the actual name. Google it. They were great.
beckyj06
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 12:56 AM

believe it or not a snake would make a better pet. how old is your son? frogs cannot be handled much and require a lot more attention to keep their habitat right. a bearded dragon is a great pet for a kid, but you will need a large cage and expensive heat and uvb bulbs.

a corn snake on the other hand will do ok in higher-room temps maybe a warm room in your house, or a light near his cage. he does not need uvb bulbs and babies can be kept in the plastic kritter keepers. you can also feed them frozen mice, so less trips to the pet store to buy live bugs. snakes make great pets and corn snakes are gentle and can tolerate being handled.

Anniea90
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 12:59 AM
1 mom liked this

DD (4) has African Dwarf Frogs. They are completely aquatic - they dont have to get out of the water at all. You feed them once a day to every other day and watch them swim in the tank. They are cheap and the tank is low maintence. 

LongBeachLiz
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 1:04 AM
I loved my gecko and my iguana. They were fantastic. My iguana didn't stay in a cage just had a cage space for food, water, and heat. He was super docile and just roamed the house. If you fell asleep on the couch you would be sure to wake up with an iguana sleeping on your chest lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
a_and_j_momma
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 1:27 AM
1 mom liked this
My son had frogs and they ate crickets. I hated the damn crickets
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)