Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

What am I doing wrong here?

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 2:13 PM
  • 10 Replies

Normally I have a family of 5: DH, myself, our 5, 2 and 1 year olds. We don't eat grand meals and I usually get generic stuff because most of it is cheaper and tastes the same but I still can't seem to get my grocery bill (including soap, shampoo, diapers for the 1 year old, and food) under $500/month!! I try to buy bulk when I can and I tried couponing but most of the time they don't have coupons for what I get or you have to buy several to get a few cents off which is worthless. I don't know what I am doing wrong!

crying

by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 2:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lillucky8
by Jen on Aug. 10, 2012 at 2:41 PM
I shop sales, i buy in bulk even if its to buy two to get $1 off, if i know ill use those two, even if it takes six mos, ill get it. Itll be six mos i wont need to buy that item again.

When the store has a sale i do buy a few so i dont have to get that item again later at full price, i can wait until the next sale. I only shop wkly for sale items and fresh produce when it comes to groceries. I shop bjs for most meats on the day they mark down everything, and i buy other items in bulk there with coupons. Formula, wipes and diapers i order thru target during their baby sale to get 10% off and free shipping. Saves me money and a trip to the store.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Are you sure you are shopping at the cheapest grocery store in town?  We used to spend $1000 a month because I didn't think there was that much of a price difference between the different stores.  Boy was I wrong!  I finally held my breath and went to the "bag your own groceries" store (Winco), and now I spend about $130 a week, sometimes less.  I was stunned by how much cheaper they are.  Their regular prices on most things are still cheaper than the sale prices at every other store in town.

lillucky8
by Jen on Aug. 10, 2012 at 2:43 PM
It does take a lil time to go thru the flyers and clip the coupons, but the savings to me is worth it. I also have four grocery stores, four pharmacies, walmart, target, bjs all within a few miles so its not a big deal for.me to jump around to different stores for the best deals.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dsmills8668
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 2:46 PM
Meal planning helps..look at flyers and try to plan meals around things on sale
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessicaaris
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Where I live there is only a Super Walmart, Safeway and City Market (Kroger). Very rarely there will be anything cheaper than Walmart, even with City Market's shopper card and weekly sales.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Are you sure you are shopping at the cheapest grocery store in town?  We used to spend $1000 a month because I didn't think there was that much of a price difference between the different stores.  Boy was I wrong!  I finally held my breath and went to the "bag your own groceries" store (Winco), and now I spend about $130 a week, sometimes less.  I was stunned by how much cheaper they are.  Their regular prices on most things are still cheaper than the sale prices at every other store in town.

nat7771777
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 3:20 PM
I have been using coupons for a few months and i have saved alot, especally on soap, shampoo and etc.. I have my food stockpile and my soap and shampoo stockpile... You just have to really look at the sales ads and compare the prices.. I do some of my shopping at publix but the rest at wal mart because the pruce match... Try doing that at wal mart and trust me will save u alot and even more when u use coupons.
Satan71
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 3:21 PM

When you go to Walmart do you bring the sale adds from the other stores and price match? Make a list before you go, match up any sale ads and coupons with your list. check the generic to see if its better than the sale price. You already said you cook from scratch. If your doing all of this then you are doing what you can ( :

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 10, 2012 at 4:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Ugh.  Walmart is rarely cheaper around here.

Plan meals.  Identify where you spend the most money:  dairy?  breakfast foods? etc.  You may have to make some changes to your diet.  I cut out cold cereals because, once you've taken into account the amount of milk you use, it's one of the most expensive options out there.  Sandwiches are the same way if you use deli meat and cheese slices instead of cheaper tuna or egg salad (I'd say peanut butter is cheap but I've seen the price of peanut butter lately and it is NOT cheap.)  Homemade soups, salads, or leftovers are good ideas for lunches, too.  Dinners can easily include meat, but you have to design meals so that they aren't the centerpiece.  Casseroles or skillet meals like stir fry, hot sandwiches like sloppy joes, and for this winter soups and stews with homemade biscuits and muffins are very satisfying for dinners.

Watch portion sizes.  The portion size for small children/toddlers is smaller than for an adult.  I assume your 5 yr old will be in school this year, so make sure they'll get milk at school and then they won't necessarily need it at home.  Calcium and vitamin D are in so many other foods that three 8 oz. glasses of milk is often not necessary.  Fruit juice isn't necessary if you offer some fresh fruit once a day.  My kids drink water and iced tea only here at home.

Can you qualify for WIC?  You've got 3 kids of qualifying age, and their income guidelines are higher than for food stamp limits.

Cook more from scratch.  I took the challenge to see what I could make from scratch, and I learned to make bread, rolls, buns, tortillas, pasta, salad dressings, mayonnaise, spaghetti sauce, "manwich" sauce, pizza sauce, enchilada sauce, taco sauce, even my own refried beans.  I make my own seasoning mixes for chili & taco meat.

Make your own cleaning supplies.  Laundry detergent is MUCH cheaper if you make it yourself and it's just as effective as the stuff you buy in the store.

Quoting jessicaaris:

Where I live there is only a Super Walmart, Safeway and City Market (Kroger). Very rarely there will be anything cheaper than Walmart, even with City Market's shopper card and weekly sales.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

e.sugarbaby
by Bronze Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 4:48 PM
Quoting michiganmom116:

What's your recipe for laundry detergent? Would love to try it.
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 10, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Quoting e.sugarbaby:

Quoting michiganmom116:

What's your recipe for laundry detergent? Would love to try it.

This is the one I use.

http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/laundrysoap.htm

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN