Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Holiday Countdown! 17 Weeks To Go! How many folks are on your list this year?

Posted by   + Show Post

Holiday Countdown! 17 Weeks To Go!
Posted by HeatherNYC

Taking a break from the whole back-to-school stuff...let's start humming Winter Wonderland, shall we? It's Holiday Countdown - 17 weeks and counting, ladies. Last week, we brainstormed. A master list of all of the parties, travel plans, what worked what didn't in years past when tackling the holidays, the d├ęcor, the gifts, the fun and, of course, the money.   

This week it is making another list - the people to whom we give those wrapped-up goodies and gifts. Since buying gifts (or gift making supplies) is probably the area where we spend the most money, making a comprehensive list of all that we need to buy and who to buy it for now, way in advance, gives us time to find the best deals and start buying now, to spread out that outlay of moolah.

Who to list? Don that Santa hat and write down everyone: family, friends, teachers, neighbors, people you want to remember at the end of the year (clergy people, doctors, the mailperson, hair person, the babysitter, and so on). Once you have the list, organize it into who you have to mail things to, who do you give a homemade gift to. Add in parentheses what you gave them last year if you can remember as well as kids' ages or sizes and all other relevant details so you don't have to search for them later.

Now start thinking about what you will give this year -- can one gift or gifts from on store work for a few (or many) people on that list? What DIY craft will you be making? In a few weeks, we will get into the nitty gritty of what to give and how to best save money while shopping, but for now, get it all organized onto a master list.   

How many folks are on your list this year? Have you ever forgotten someone?

by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 5:48 PM
Replies (11-20):
lyrick24
by Melissa on Aug. 12, 2012 at 8:03 AM
we usually just buy for the grandchildren. i think we are going to get them all a trampoline to share and a few other small gifts.
mommy.etc.
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 11:29 AM
I have thirteen people to gift. I have my three kids, Mom and her BF, sister and BIL, brother and fiance, and four cousins (we draw names). Last year I bought all the gifts (minus bows that I made to match outfits), but this year I am hoping to only buy materials for making things and maybe one gift for each kid. So far on my list of what I'm making are:
Each of my DDs (6&4) will be getting a scarf, bows, Tutu, robe, DIY jewelry, knitted socks, cloth dolls (paper dolls, but made out of cloth and Velcro for clothes)
For my DDs to share: Hopscotch mat, dress up clothes
DS (1): PJ pants, wooden matching toys, cloth fishing game, cloth road map, textured blocks, cloth photo album
Mom and BF: Afghan, un-paper towels, pure vanilla extract, portrait of Mom and kids, hotpads
Sister and BIL: Afghan, cloth bowl, pure vanilla extract, painted frame with picture of them with kids, rice heating pad
Brother and Fiance: painted frame with picture of them with kids, un-paper towels, scarf for stb sil, vanilla
Girl cousin (1): stuffed owl, Tutu and bow set
Boy cousin (10 months): PJ pants, camouflage Afghan

We are going to gift ornaments and the vanilla to all the adults in our family, too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shadenn766
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 11:31 AM

none...just me...lol

elijahsmama09
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 7:29 PM
I buy for 13 people, and then have another like 5 that I do homemade goodies for and dont buy gifts.
lillucky8
by Jen on Aug. 12, 2012 at 7:52 PM
I need to sit and make the list. We dont usually do alot of ppl and i keep the budget low, i dont want debt from xmas, and my family would rather have homemade or photo gifts than junk they wont use
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
specialwingz
by Corey on Aug. 13, 2012 at 9:54 AM

We just do immediate family.  That involves 7 people.  So, it's not too bad.  We already have a few things set back that we happened to find on sale.  But, I always seem to have last minute things to do and buy.  =/

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Aug. 13, 2012 at 9:08 PM

still making a list

JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2012 at 10:59 PM

7 for sure.  Possibly more depending on where we spend the holidays.

XVAmomma
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 11:11 PM
We are a large family so we do sort of a secret Santa game for adults and each parent brings 1 gift for each of his/her kids to the Xmas eve party (and epiphany - we live in PR so is 2 parties) so this yr is 1 more for me. If I am hosting I do a DIY gift (same thing) for everyone as a party favor so everyone takes something home. I also have my In laws 4 and my SO niece. My goddaugther and my 2 youngest siblings. Lastly one for work (also secret santa) and 1 for myself (I always treat myself). So that makes 12 times 2 (xmas and epiphany) = 24 gifts plus whatever extras for LO (probably just 4 more gifts). Not bad!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
a_and_j_momma
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 12:50 AM
Nooooooooooooooo! No xmas talk yet lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)