Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Looking for the cheap, cheap, cheapest dinners to make

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 2:03 PM
  • 31 Replies

Money is super super SUPER tight this week because we are gearing up to move and DH's paycheck was short because he was home sick two days. We get paid on Friday and I will be doing the shopping for 2 weeks and I need the absolute cheapest dinner ideas. I am feeding 3 adults, a 10, 5, 2 and 1 year old so they need to be bigger meals. So far I have:

• Hot dogs & mac and cheese
  • Spaghetti
  • Chicken and rice
  • Porkchops and rice or mashed potatoes *I bought a large pack last time and froze half so I am not buying those*
  • Baked potatoes and sausage *already have the sausage*
  • Some other pasta dish using spaghetti sauce, maybe goulosh or something

But I need to spend the least amount of money possible this shopping trip so any ideas are welcome!!

by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 2:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2012 at 2:07 PM
Breakfast for dinner is very cheap. Do pancakes, waffles...that kind of thing. Tacos with half a pound of ground beef and black beans to bulk up the filling is also a cheap way to go.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 15, 2012 at 2:08 PM

baked beans and hot dogs combined, topped with tater tots or mashed potatoes and baked until potatoes are golden

tuna noodle casserole

ramen noodle casserole (I have a recipe if you want, you need 2 packs ramen noodles - beef flavored, 1 can cream of mushroom soup, bit of milk, bit of celery, diced onion, dash of soy sauce if you have it, 1/2 lb. ground beef.)  You'll probably want to double that for all the people you have to feed.

use the spaghetti sauce to make baked ziti or even pizza (homemade crust, you'd just have to buy cheese)

Can of chunky style soup over baked potatoes or rice

make a big pot of chili and divide into 3 parts:  serve one with crackers or homemade cornbread -- serve one part over baked potatoes -- serve with with cooked macaroni and a bit of cheese if desired (chili mac)

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 15, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Buy the biggest chicken you can find.  Roast it and serve, keeping back the wings and carcass.  Reserve all of the leftovers.  Use 2 c. leftover chicken to make chicken pot pie, chicken & gravy over potatoes, or chicken & stuffing casserole (I have recipes).  Use the rest of the meat and boil the carcass to get every last bit of meat & nutrition to make broth & meat; add veggies to make chicken stew (add dumplings)

MooreBoysMama
by Member on Aug. 15, 2012 at 4:00 PM
Bean burritos
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Beckywolf2001
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Cheesy tuna mac

1 pkg of macaroni and cheese

1 can/frozen peas

1/2 cup of chopped onions

1/2 cup of chopped celery

1 can of tuna

prepare macoroni and cheese as directed on pkg adding vegs to the boining water for the last 3 minutes of cooking time then take drain it and add tuna and eveything else on the pkg.

Beckywolf2001
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 6:35 PM

chicken pasta salad

3/4 cup of miracle whip dressing

1/2 tsp pepper

2 cupst bow ite pasta cooked and drained

1 can of sliced carrots drained

2 stalks of celery sliced

1 can of checken breast drained

mix dressing and peper in large bowl add remaining ingrediants mix lighlty refigerate several hurs or until chilled

Mrs.Sparkle
by Member on Aug. 15, 2012 at 6:36 PM
4 cans chili beans and polish sausage cut up in it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nramey
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 6:37 PM
Beans and rice. A bag of dry beans and a large bag of rice should get you three meals.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nikisazombie
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 6:40 PM
Breakfast for dinner, beans and rice, heck.. as hot as it is sometimes we do cereal for dinner. (shhhh! :P It's not hot, I don't have to cook it!) Pasta salad with beans or something as a side.. um... hmmmm... I made chicken n dumplings really cheap once because I got the chicken on sale sale sale. :) It's easy and filling! And oh so good. :) Tuna sandwiches! They're cheap! LOL
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Beckywolf2001
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 6:54 PM

2 cans of caned cream corn

1 cup of milk

1/4 of teaspoon onion powder optional

1 heaping tablespoon of corn starch

pinch of gournd nutmeg

salt and black pepper

2 cups of elbow maccaroni

8 oz of grated cheese mild yellow chedder

12 oz of grated cheese of mozzerella

1 egg lightly beaton

1 cup of crutons

1 table spoon of olive oil

preheat oven to 350%

In a sausepan simmer the corn with the milk and the onion powder if using for 5 minutes. combine the cornstarch with about 2 tablespoons of water and stir well. Add the cornstarch to the corn mixture and whisk over medium heat for 3 mins. Season the corn cream with salt and peper and nutmeg. Remove from heat and keep warm. Boil the macaroni in a full rolling salted water for 4 to 6 min. Drain the macaroni well and add to the corn cream mixture add the chedder and 1/2 of mozzerela and the egg.  Stir well. Add to 4 cup cassarole dish or 12 inch cast iron skillet and top with remaining mozzerella. In a zip lock bag lightly crush the crutons with a rolling pin or mallet. Stir togeather with the oil and crutons and spread on top of maccaroni mixture. Cook on the top rack until golden 15 to 20 min. 

I would think you could sub crutons for corn flakes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)