Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

I got the female treatment at the oil change place!

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 9:45 AM
  • 30 Replies
1 mom liked this

First, let me say, I know how to change my own oil, but we dont have a proper jack for me to do it.  I am motivated to get one now.

So anyway, I went to get my oil change, I usually go to whoever has a coupon.  So far at two different places they each suggested 600 something dollars in unneccary repairs.  The first was serpintine belts which are fine after I looked at them.

This place though, Midas, took it over the top.  They were telling me my car's non problem (a suggested transmission flush) was a safety issue and I shouldn't get back on the road without getting it done because I could blow the transmission on my car!!!!!!!!

My car has 50, 000 miles on it, I know it is *suggested* to have it done around that time but it is NOT a safety issue.  I have no transmission issues whatsoever.  I have done minor repairs to cars and my ex is a mechanic so I know what's up.

I wish I had a camcorder to record all this and send it in to the local news.

Oh, and they didn't catch the one problem with my car, the top middle breaklight is out lol.

Ladies Beware!

by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 9:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shadenn766
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 9:49 AM

thats so ridiculous, mechanics should be ashamed of themselves, for conducting business this way

yeah, too bad that you didnt have a recording device...

pittawadda
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 9:50 AM
My mother was a mechanic for about 15 years including the army and sears ( yes back when women didn't know anything) I also know how to change oil and some basics. It's crazy what some of the mechanics have told her. She only goes to one place bc they respect her knowledge.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pittawadda
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Also I test drove a car once and it sounded weird. The guy actually told me it was wax on the engine that had to burn off from the factory.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JuliaWoods99
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 9:52 AM
ridiculous

illinoismommy83
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 9:53 AM

I hate the female treatment. It is even worse if you bring your kids in. They suddenly have a million things that should be done for the safety of your children. Yes, lets get kids all scared that mommy's car is about to blow up and kill us all. It costs a bit more to get the oil change done at our normal mechanic, but at least I trust him and know he is not out to milk every last penny out of us. 

matreshka
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Wow, that is absurd.  I test drove a not too old maxima with low miles and price too good to be true.  The guy kept saying, well it hsn't been driven in a while.  I got down to look under the car back at the lot and the whole undercarriage was rotting.

Quoting pittawadda:

Also I test drove a car once and it sounded weird. The guy actually told me it was wax on the engine that had to burn off from the factory.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 21, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Your experience serves as a good reminder that women need to educate themselves about these things.

We (actually my 2nd oldest DS) takes care of all maintenance:  oil changes, brake pads, minor repairs, etc.  We won't touch serpentine belts because the tension has to be perfect, and we can't do major engine repair b/c we don't have the special equipment.

My 3rd oldest DS wants to be a mechanic, so hopefully we'll be able to get away with paying for parts and having him do the labor for free (???  hope ???)

matreshka
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Yes, and there are so many tutorials online that go step by step on minor car repairs, and aslo advice on when to do it yourself and when to go to a certifed mechanic (like serpentine belts).

Quoting michiganmom116:

Your experience serves as a good reminder that women need to educate themselves about these things.

We (actually my 2nd oldest DS) takes care of all maintenance:  oil changes, brake pads, minor repairs, etc.  We won't touch serpentine belts because the tension has to be perfect, and we can't do major engine repair b/c we don't have the special equipment.

My 3rd oldest DS wants to be a mechanic, so hopefully we'll be able to get away with paying for parts and having him do the labor for free (???  hope ???)

Bekahsue5
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 10:21 AM

my neighbor was pressured into the transmission flush, and then they killed her transmission entirely.  She had to get a new car, because she couldn't hold them to any liability, and a new transmission cost more than the car.  I am grateful for the honest guys I take my car to.

matreshka
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 10:23 AM

That is so truly awful.  Some people have no ethics/morals/conscience.

Quoting Bekahsue5:

my neighbor was pressured into the transmission flush, and then they killed her transmission entirely.  She had to get a new car, because she couldn't hold them to any liability, and a new transmission cost more than the car.  I am grateful for the honest guys I take my car to.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)