Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Laundry Detergent???!!!

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 11:48 AM
  • 25 Replies
Help! How can I make my own laundry detergent??? Does it work just as well as store bought??? Does it have a fragrance??? Help! At store now and really trying to avoid purchasing a bottle that will cost almost $10.00!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 11:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Satan71
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Here's my powdered recipe that I use right now. 1 cup super washing soda, 1 cup sun oxy clean, and 1 cup borax. Now normally I would mix that with 2 cups  grated Zote soap or Felsnaptha in the blender. Then use the scooper from the sun oxyclean for the detergent. 1 scoop for reg. wash two for heavily soiled. Works great most of the time. Sometimes, I have to do a bit of stain treating on certain things. Right now I happened to be at my local discount store and they had bags of tide on sale for 99 cents. Each bag is supposed to do 9 loads. Anyway I bought 10 bags since I was out of Zote. I have been adding 2 cups of this and its working great. Laundry soap is pretty easy and flexible in the ingredients. The two main components everyone seems to agree on are Washing Soda and Borax. The rest seems to be dependant on if you like fragrance, if you like liquid or dry, and how much grease you normally have in your wash. I just read a post someplace on how to make liquid from Dawn, Soda, and borax. Anyway, I will try to look for it later if no one posts it.

BeachLifeMama
by Dawn on Aug. 21, 2012 at 12:31 PM
I just made mind for the first time last week. I made the powdered version first to see how well it works then I'm going to make the liquid detergent to compare. I used 2 Fel Naptha , borax, washing soda, baking soda, Oxyclean, and Purex crystal fabric softener & I put a few drops of Snuggle fabric softener & mixed well. So far I did two laundry loads, we like how it smell and cleans well.
Dabberdoo
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 12:37 PM

This is a no grate/no cook recipe and I think it works the same as the other recipes I've tried.  You can add essential oil to get the scents you want.

http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2012/02/no-grate-homemade-laundry-soap.html

Dabberdoo
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I also added a couple tablespoons of baking soda to that above recipe just because I wanted to.

laurag8707
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 3:37 PM

This is something I defintely need to get into making as well.

TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Aug. 21, 2012 at 3:41 PM
I've thought about it but dh won't use anything other than tide or gain. Grr
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Moki75
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 3:50 PM

I have never paid that much for detergent.....

opal10161973
by Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 3:52 PM
Why? Is he the one doing the laundry? My family can't even tell the difference.

Quoting TheBabyFactory4:

I've thought about it but dh won't use anything other than tide or gain. Grr
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bekahsue5
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 4:40 PM

the innitial cost can be high, getting your supplies - I found that it was hard to figure out price per load, because you only use a portion of a box of borax etc.   My daughter's skin reacted to it - it's a bit harsh.  I didn't find a way to make it smell pleasant either.  In then end I found couponing, and get my store bought stuff very cheap and I'm happier doing it that way!  Good luck- I hope you find the right recipe for you!

tanmans_mom
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 5:52 PM

I make the liquid form from the Duggars website....I love it and now it only costs me $1.00 to make 10 gallons :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)