Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Making your own dish detergent, laundry detergent, cleaning solutions, etc

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 1:24 PM
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this

I've found several recipes to make my own detergents & cleaning supplies that I've been wanting to try for awhile. I looked at Super 1 for washing soda, etc, but didn't see any so I figured I would find it at WalMart. They didn't have it either! I found castille bar soap at WalMart but it was 3 bars for over $4. Where do you buy your supplies from & does it really end up being cheaper?

by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 1:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BeachLifeMama
by Beachy on Aug. 21, 2012 at 1:59 PM
I got all of mind at Walmart for low cost and I found them too at Publix.
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 2:07 PM

We don't have a Publix! I might try a different Walmart then because the one I went to didn't have anything!

Quoting BeachLifeMama:

I got all of mind at Walmart for low cost and I found them too at Publix.

skippette14
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 2:08 PM
I got mine at Winco , not sure if you have one near you though.
wildflower1980
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 2:17 PM
Washing soda is like $3.28 at Walmart here and I use fels naptha soap that is 97¢. The recipe I use also calls for borax and sun oxy cleaner. All in all, I spend around $15 and have laundry & dishwasher detergent for 4+ months (with kids helping with the chores even, lol!) We have a large household, too- 5 kids with 1 on the way and 2 adults.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 2:20 PM

We don't have one of those either! Thank you though!

Quoting skippette14:

I got mine at Winco , not sure if you have one near you though.

by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 2:21 PM

That's awesome how long it lasts! There's only 3 of us so it would last us awhile. I'm going to call some stores in my area and see who has the washing soda! Thank you

Quoting wildflower1980:

Washing soda is like $3.28 at Walmart here and I use fels naptha soap that is 97¢. The recipe I use also calls for borax and sun oxy cleaner. All in all, I spend around $15 and have laundry & dishwasher detergent for 4+ months (with kids helping with the chores even, lol!) We have a large household, too- 5 kids with 1 on the way and 2 adults.

Dabberdoo
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 9:26 PM

My Walmart and Kroger sell washing soda.  Its it the laundry detergent aisle. You can also use soap other than castille.  The liquid recipe I use now calls for Dawn, washing soda and Borax.  No shredding and no heating on the stove.

a_and_j_momma
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 10:22 PM
I always buy detergent at Costco
chrissysnow22
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 10:13 AM
I use ivory instead of fels naptha. I get 3 bars for $1 at the dollar store. I got washing soda and borax at walmart for $3
For castile liquid I get it on amazon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Feral.Woman
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 10:31 AM

I find my borax and washing soda at WalMart. I use Ivory soap and have been able to pick it up cheap with sales and P&G coupons. I also use Sun brand oxy clean at Dollar General, 30 oz for $2.

I do laundry on Saturdays, its just me and my son so i usually have a load of whites, a load of colors, a load of denium, load of towels, load of sheets, load for blankets and bedspreads. (We have dogs that love to sleep with us so the bedspreads and blankets get washed a lot lol).

1-2 tablespoons per load works on our clothes. I have never had a problem with stains or any odors with the homemade detergent.

Blessings

Kat

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)