Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

i just spent $150 at the grocery store and that is only for meals/snacks till weds!! I saved $60 but my bill didn't included any veggies at all! I get them all from the csa program at the farmers market....   if veggies were included i would have probably spent closer to $200 and thats with coupons!! ugh!

by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 9:20 PM
Replies (11-16):
anotherandree
by Inga on Aug. 26, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Yikes!

awilliams77
by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 12:22 PM
Where are you shopping and what state are you in? $150 IS a lot for less than a week's food-I feel ya.
I am in SC, and use a free site called southern savers. She lists the weekly sales for grocery/drug stores. I make a list based on the sale for the week, and use the coupon matchups she lists. Buying what is on sale, combined with doubled coupons for the items already on sale, helps me save a lot. Now, I buy things in 6 wk cycles due to the sales cycles so my grocery cart looks a little weird at times. I may buy one brand of cereal, pasta (but no sauce since it isn't on sale) pancake mix, salad dressing, frozen veggies, and milk/eggs/bread we need for the week. But, I already have in my freezer/pantry-meat, pasta sauce, lots of other cereal, etc that I bought when on sale the previous week. Make sense?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rebeccasmly
by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 12:26 PM
I haven't noticed a huge difference at the stores but between the 2 food co-ops we participate in plus what we grow and raise, I don't go to the store often.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matreshka
by Platinum Member on Aug. 26, 2012 at 3:37 PM

coupons are getting stingier.  The only way they really make a difference for me is if I match them up with a sale.  Is there a way you can take your receipt, see what you can cut out and maybe do some pricing online with other grocery stroe flyers?

sassymomntx1961
by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 12:54 AM

I try and not buy what I need from the store unless its on sale and really try to have a coupon for it.Does any of your stores double?I want to learn to can one of these days.

GOD first ppl next things last you cant go wrong and w/ GOD and JESUS around you,you will be a a triple strand rope

specialwingz
by Corey on Aug. 27, 2012 at 10:04 AM

I've gotten to the point where I use very few coupons.  We have found that our store brand is very comparable in quality and cheaper than the name brands even if I used coupons for them.  We try to remedy our veggie cost with gardening.  However, it has been tough here in Texas these past 2 summers.  =/  we don't buy a lot of snacks and desserts.  I needed to whip up snacks and desserts lots cheaper than store bought.

We also follow a meal plan.  I go to the store with a list and I don't get anything that isn't on the list with the exception of a good deal on clearance or a good last minute sale I didn't know about.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)