Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

FourSquare Deals

SlightlyPerfect
Kids are raving nowadays?
Yesterday at 2:31 PM
Posted by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 11:23 AM
  • 15 Replies

I stopped using FourSquare awhile ago, but the other night we went out to a bar, and my friend told me if she checked in there, she'd get $10 off her bill if it totaled $20 or more. I was like, What!???

Who uses this? Does it work? Anyone use it via  MMS?

slightlyperfect

by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 11:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
specialwingz
by Corey on Sep. 13, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Never heard of it.  More info please?

SlightlyPerfect
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2012 at 11:35 AM

It's a site/app that you use to "check in" to places when you go out. So, like, let's say you're going to a bar. You use the app or MMS to "check in" via Foursquare. And you can display that checkin on social-networking sites like Facebook, so people know where you are, and then the app will tell you if you have friends there (if they've checked in).

What businesses are starting to do is if you check in, they are providing special offers, like what my friends got at the bar: 10 off of 20.

I stopped using FourSquare before they offered this, and now I just may get back into it!

Quoting specialwingz:

Never heard of it.  More info please?

slightlyperfect

specialwingz
by Corey on Sep. 13, 2012 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Hmmm.  Doesn't sound like a program/app I'd use.  1.) I don't do a data plan on my phone (part of my frugalness).  2.) I'm not willing to advertise on a social website where I am at any given moment.  It has been all over our news that doing this alerts criminals to your activites and they target homes of people who have "advertised" that they are not at home.  =/

SlightlyPerfect
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Oh I refuse to pay for data, too. I use MMS.

I also wouldn't post it on social-networking sites if I started it back up again. The checkin would still count, though.

Quoting specialwingz:

Hmmm.  Doesn't sound like a program/app I'd use.  1.) I don't do a data plan on my phone (part of my frugalness).  2.) I'm not willing to advertise on a social website where I am at any given moment.  It has been all over our news that doing this alerts criminals to your activites and they target homes of people who have "advertised" that they are not at home.  =/

slightlyperfect

diaperstodating
by Angel on Sep. 13, 2012 at 10:55 PM

I have heard of it, but I have never used it and I am not interested in ever getting it. I have a Facebook friend ( our sons are friends) who is always "checking in" on Facebook.  It annoys me to know what she does all day at every moment of the day.

diaperstodating
by Angel on Sep. 13, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Bump

nmaxwell816
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 12:04 AM
Never heard of it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anotherandree
by Inga on Sep. 14, 2012 at 12:09 AM

I foursquare all the time and have save tons on restaurants and such.  We have gotten free appetizers at TRIFridays and something at Red Robin (can't remember what right now).  You don't have to post on FB that you are checking in, but that is an option.  I don't usually post that I am checking in somewhere unless I have something to add to it, but to answer the original question, yes, many places are putting coupons on foursquare for checking in, especially now that it is catching on.

SarrinaRaynne
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 11:40 AM

The deals are why we use foursquare.. we've gotten free desserts (12.00+ value) as well as $ off meals, free food for the kids etc.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2012 at 12:36 PM

I've never heard of it, but it sounds like it's worth checking out.  I wonder if there is a list of what places will give you deals if you check in there?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)