Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

do you buy clothes at thrift stores?

i've met people that say they would never step inside a thrift store. i love shopping at thrift stores and goodwills, i can find tons of designer clothes for almost nothing. but i guess some people dont have the patience to look through a bunch of clothes to find only a few good pieces. 

by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 7:55 PM
Replies (41-46):
Red_Kitten
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I LOVE thrift stores. Seriously.  LOVE them!

That being said...I didn't shop there for a long time because my ex-husband said it was gross.  I'd bought him a pair of shorts there because he really needed some and he asked what made me think he would want his "junk" where some other guys "junk" had been.  LOL......so now I shop there all the time.  One of my favorite things is the jeans have usually been washed so I don't have to worry about them shrinking up on me!

consumerswin
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 4:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I LOVE Thrift stores ! you can get some really great deals and YES Designer clothes. It's crazy what you can find. I work in the Film Industry and a lot of the Wardrobe Designers get their best pieces from Thrift Stores for Movies.

scorpiobabes
by Bronze Member on Sep. 22, 2012 at 11:03 PM

I have in the past-got some great deals, but also some duds. Like the blouse I bought that smelled but I figured I could wash out the smell-NOPE! I threw that out, rather than pass on a gem like that! That was when I had very little to spend on clothing for myself and my daughter, but then our favorite thrift shop caught fire and we didn't go there any more. I've moved since then, and haven't taken the time to search for a new one-guess it's high time I did!

merryvoice
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 2:10 AM

But those few good pieces are always worth it! I have gotten SO many compliments on my thrift store finds, and people are always so surprised when I tell them where I get my clothes! 

DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Sep. 24, 2012 at 3:36 AM
I haven't been in one in a long time. I get our used clothes through freecycle and free exchanges.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
specialwingz
by Corey on Sep. 24, 2012 at 10:13 AM

I don't mind thrift stores for crafty things.  But, for clothing, not so much.  For making costumes, I've found a piece or 2.  But, for every day clothing, no.  Seems there is always this odor that comes with any 2nd hand clothing store that I just can't get past.

Honestly, I got my kids' clothes from the clearance racks at the regular stores.  Shirts for $1 each, jeans for $5 each, etc.  I was pretty much beating the thrift store prices for brand new clothes!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)