Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

how much do you pay for meat?

I'm floored by some of the prices people pay for meat on here. I've never payed more than $3 a lb for ground meat and I do my best to stock up at $2 a lb. The average price for chicken legs/thighs is $2 a lb but I always get it b1g1 free and boneless is a little more but I still only get that b1g1 free. Whole chickens I stock up when they are under $1 a lb and use leftovers for other meals. Other kinds of meats that are usually more expensive I try not to spend more than $4 a lb but we don't use them as often either. I just saw that someone was paying $7 a lb for ground meat.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 3:37 PM
Replies (11-16):
outgoingmomof2
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 2:49 PM
I really don't pay attention. Dh works at a slaughter house and we just get it from there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 5:58 PM

It's about $4 a pound for ground beef, $2.50 for chicken breasts, and $2 on average for pork.

LFosterfarm
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 6:01 PM
1 mom liked this
I guesses it depends ok hire you look at it. We raise out own beef and chickens. I haven't bought store bought on a regular basis in for ever. The price of hay went up but I'd rather pay for that than the crap in the stores. Once in a while i get meat from a butcher.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chrisnjoesmom
by Adrienne on Sep. 19, 2012 at 9:23 PM

$1/lb for bone-in, skin on chicken breasts

77 cents a pound for whole chickens 

$3.94/lb for Tbones on sale

Ground sirloin used to be like $2.90/lb if you bought a lot but last time they want $10 for less than 2 lbs! Insane!

$4.48/lb  for boneless chuck roast, that was too expensive but I bought it anyways cause we like it for certain recipes. 

Scottsmommie
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 8:18 AM

I only buy meat if it's on sale. I try not to pay more than $3 for ground beef. I try to buy bone in Chicken breasts for 99 cents a pound. If I watch I can get pork loin for $1.69 a pound. I got a roast on markdown for $3 a pound the other day. When I used ground beef I mostly use it mixed into something and use about a 1/3 of a pound for a meal. Such as burrito mix it's rice, black beans, tomatoes, and beef so you don't really miss it. Same thing for chili I make it more beans than meat because they are cheaper. I buy dry ones and cook them in the crockpot and freeze them and use like canned beans. Cheaper and no added salt.

1979mommy
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 10:28 AM

I won't pay more than $2.29/lb for hamburger. It goes on sale often for $1.99/lb so I try to stock up then. I get chicken drumsticks cheap, they go on sale often for $0.89/lb and once every few months they'll go on sale for $0.39/lb and I stock up big time then. Chicken breast (boneless) is usually on sale somewhere for $1.89/lb but will sometimes go down to $1.59/lb and I stock up then. My SO likes New York strip steak but I only buy that when it goes on sale for $3.99/lb (or less). Then I get the big $40 hunk and they slice it free.  I buy pork chops often for $1.89/lb which gets me a pack of 4 of them for around $3.00. Sometimes a little less. And those are boneless. I don't buy bone-in pork chops or chicken breasts. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)