Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

5 Delicious Dinners So Easy to Make You’ll Freak Out (PHOTOS) What are your go-to meals when you're in a time crunch?

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 2:26 PM
  • 9 Replies

5 Delicious Dinners So Easy to Make You’ll Freak Out (PHOTOS)

Posted by Emily Abbate on September 18, 2012

Barbecue Chicken PizzaWhen it comes to making dinner, the last thing I want to do after a crazy long day is spend more than a half hour cooking up something delicious. The meal is my favorite meal to conjure up, but the facts are that, generally, it takes longer. Why's that? Because there are so many more fun options when it comes to dinner. Fun outside of the box things like pasta, casseroles, rice dishes ... these things take time.

So what's a lady who loves good food to do? Find those few great go-to recipes that are awesomely delicious, but don't take forever to make. Check out these 5 easy recipes for a busy weeknight:

Sesame Quinoa With Chicken

I've only recently jumped on the quinoa bandwagon, and I've got to be honest, it makes me nervous. No, not because it's high in calories or anything like that (trust me, it's not!), but because I've been eating so much of it that I think soon I may actually turn into a whole grain.

Recipe: Sesame Quinoa With Chicken from How Sweet Eats.

Caribbean Chicken Kabobs

Kabobs are a fun, easy meal to fix up in minutes. The best part? You can customize them for the picky eaters. Have a kid that doesn't like green peppers? Give them extra zucchini pieces instead. Customization is the spice of life.

Recipe: Caribbean Chicken Kabobs from The Hill Hangout.

Shrimp Stir Fry

One of my must-buy items at the grocery store is the frozen shrimp that come pre-cooked, peeled, deveined, and without the tail. They are totally easy to throw into all sorts of yummy dishes from salads to pastas. My favorite, though, is an easy shrimp stir fry.

Recipe: Shrimp and Vegetable Stir Fry from Sassy Girl Kitchen.

Barbecue Chicken Pizza

Salad and pizza go together pretty well, but have you ever tried salad ON pizza? This recipe for barbecue chicken pizza is my absolute favorite, and my ultimate go-to dish when casually entertaining friends. Yeah, it involves some prep time earlier in the day. However, with only 15 minutes of prep time at night -- it's an easy crowd-pleaser.

Recipe: California Pizza Kitchen's Barbecue Chicken Pizza from The Pioneer Woman.

Simple Taco Salad

Other than ordering in, there's absolutely nothing easier than throwing together a salad at the end of a long day. Who wants a plain salad, though, when you could get creative with it? Spice things up by giving it some Mexican flair, adding in some beef and some sour cream. I promise you that, soon, this tasty dish will be a household favorite.

Recipe: Taco Salad from Taste of Home.

What are your go-to meals when you're in a time crunch?

by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 2:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Homeschoolmom99
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Last night well 2 AM we got home from me being in the hospital and my wife browned some hamburger and added a can of beans a can of tomatoes and some spanish rice and cheese and it was delish!

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 19, 2012 at 5:06 PM
When I'm in a crunch (which is very rare since I plan meals ahead of time) it's usually a main dish salad of some kind or eggs in some form. If I KNOW I won't have much time to fix dinner, I'll schedule a crockpot meal for that day. Takes mere seconds to dump a frozen beef roast in the crock and add seasonings, cover and turn on.
JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 5:52 PM
1 mom liked this

When I'm in a time crunch I make spaghetti or tacos.

matreshka
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 7:33 PM

sirfry or chicken tacos.  So quick and easy and my family loves it.

chinosruca
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 7:42 PM
Not one sounds so delicious or easy that I would "freak out".....and my family would eat only the stir fry shrimp.

My favorite, fast meal is hot dogs, baked beans & rice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
a_and_j_momma
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 12:50 AM
Yum!

Stuffed peppers are my quick meal
TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Sep. 20, 2012 at 12:57 AM
This. And if something does come up and plans change spaghetti or a boxed dinner I keep on hand. When I used to work overnights and I slept during the day I sometimes didn't get enough sleep so I kept those unhealthy boxed dinners on hand. I also try to keep some beans and rice or other leftovers from other dinners in the freezer. Just pull out and microwave. I lost that stash during Isaac but I will replace it.

Quoting michiganmom116:

When I'm in a crunch (which is very rare since I plan meals ahead of time) it's usually a main dish salad of some kind or eggs in some form. If I KNOW I won't have much time to fix dinner, I'll schedule a crockpot meal for that day. Takes mere seconds to dump a frozen beef roast in the crock and add seasonings, cover and turn on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Sep. 20, 2012 at 1:00 AM
Really? Unless I prep mine ahead of time it takes me a while to make them and then 45 mins to cook. I did them today but I made the stuffing on Sunday since I had shrimp that would have gone bad and fresh peppers that I got on sale. It took about 45mins to cook the rice, chop the onions and peppers and cook it all together then stuff the peppers

Quoting a_and_j_momma:

Yum!

Stuffed peppers are my quick meal
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
a_and_j_momma
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 1:16 AM
Quoting TheBabyFactory4:

Yep! You sautee italian sausage, hamburger, onion, and mushroom on the stovetop. You boil water, poach the peppers for a min, remove, stuff, top with cheese and broil

Another fast meal for me are lettuce wraps

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)