Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Is it worth is to buy newspapers for the coupon inserts?

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 6:33 PM
  • 20 Replies
1 mom liked this

Our Sunday paper is just under $5.  From what I've seen its usually stuff I wouldn't buy normally.  Does anyone here recoup the cost of the paper plus save buying the sunday paper for coupons?

by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 6:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Stacie03
by Silver Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 7:12 PM
Wow! $5! For me no way. But I rarely use coupons. I get our paper for what now seems like a small fee of $1.50 mostly for the ads as sometimes my computer doesn't like to show the ads.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StephB060811
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 7:16 PM

I get the sunday and wednesday. I think it was becuase they added on wednesday for no additional cost and i get the ads for grocery in the wednesday and the only way you are absolutely guarenteed all the coupon inserts is if it is delivered. To many times we went to buy extras and they didnt have all the inserts. 5 dollars a month isnt bad. But the dollar tree does sell the sunday paper for a buck soo thats another option for you.

AmyD43
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 7:17 PM
I look at the coupon sites and see if there is anything I need. Paper here is $2 so as long as I'm over $3 I buy it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
diaperstodating
by Angel on Sep. 20, 2012 at 7:19 PM

No it is not. I get my coupons from a local free paper we get once a week. I also have a co-worker who gives me coupons from her Sunday paper (she doesn't use coupons).

Angie_O
by Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 10:08 PM

wow! If I buy my newspapers at the store, which I currently buy 3, I only pay 88 cents each. I also have 5 subscriptions, 5 of which I only average less than 30 cents a paper =) the other two subscriptions are probably even less because I get all 7 days for $1 a week.

I definitely save more than I spend on papers when I coupon.

At your price though, it would be extremely hard.

TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Sep. 20, 2012 at 10:17 PM
Dh brings the coupons home from the Sunday papers they have at his restaurant for customers to read and my mom gives me hers. So it's free for us. But if we buy one its $1.50 on Sunday.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nmaxwell816
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 12:07 AM
The coupon preview is always posted here
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillucky8
by Jen on Sep. 21, 2012 at 1:56 AM
Ours is $2, i only buy on the first wknd w the p&g insert. My mil and gram save me the couppns from their papers
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mami2oneboy
by Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 3:42 AM
Wow that's expensive! I got 3 Sunday subscriptions for a year for $10 each. The Sunday paper is $1.50-$2 here. and I get the free Saturday paper with coupons and my mom's coupons too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 21, 2012 at 6:58 AM
1 mom liked this

IMO, no.  It's not worth buying the Sunday paper, especially when I don't buy 99% of the things there are coupons for.

Check with your local stores/gas stations/etc. that sell papers.  What do they do with their leftover papers?  Would the newspaper distributor be willing to give you the inserts out of the unsold papers?  My son works at a place that sells newspapers, and all he has to give to the distributor is the top name label out of each unsold paper...the distributor doesn't want to haul all those old newspapers back and they're more than happy to let him have the old newspapers.  We use them to start fires in the wood furnace.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)