Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

How do I find inexpensive legal aid?

Posted by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 3:12 PM
  • 10 Replies

We are having a serious problem with the neighbors where we rent.  Property management is dragging their feet. They have issues a 7 day notice for them to get out but they can stay until the eviction process is complete -- essentially for months. To make a long story short the police have been here twice Restraining orders are filed and the fire department came over a serious issue.  It is not a good situation.

Since property management is dragging their feet, we are considering legal action against property management since our personal property as been destroyed and we are constantly being harassed.

Western Mass Legal Aid - a free legal service is booked for months on end before they will even hear our issues and do the legal work.  We cannot afford a lawyer. 

How dowe find a sliding scale or pro bono lawyer outside of the volunteer community law centers that are overbooked?

We are good tenants, we pay rent on time, we keep to ourselves, keep the property clean and are quiet.  Unfortunately our lease is up June 2013.

by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 3:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
a_and_j_momma
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 3:21 PM
Most states have a law help website. Here is yours:

http://www.masslegalhelp.org/housing/private-housing/ch14-taking-your-landlord-to-court

http://www.masslegalhelp.org/housing/self-help-forms

matreshka
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 3:23 PM
2 moms liked this

Thank you so much, especially for the forms :)  This means a lot to me.

Quoting a_and_j_momma:

Most states have a law help website. Here is yours:

http://www.masslegalhelp.org/housing/private-housing/ch14-taking-your-landlord-to-court

http://www.masslegalhelp.org/housing/self-help-forms

pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Sep. 22, 2012 at 3:30 PM

What about prepaid legal.  I never used them. But someone said you can buy into a pre paid legal service.  It cost a fee each month for it.  When you need legal help.  Your already paid into it.

KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Sep. 22, 2012 at 3:33 PM
Check into the local law school. The one by me has 3 and 4th year students who are able to serve as lawyers (with the help of the their teachers) and they take cases probono for the learning experience.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matreshka
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Never thought of that. We have a law school right near us!  I will have to check that out.

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Check into the local law school. The one by me has 3 and 4th year students who are able to serve as lawyers (with the help of the their teachers) and they take cases probono for the learning experience.

KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Sep. 22, 2012 at 3:36 PM
Good luck!

Quoting matreshka:

Never thought of that. We have a law school right near us!  I will have to check that out.

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Sep. 22, 2012 at 4:53 PM
The state attorney general usually has a department that handles landlord matters. Just search your state Attorney General website
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ilovemykids732
by Member on Sep. 22, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Yeah... in Western Mass there is almost nothing... I am looking for a 'cheap' divorce lawyer... and am finding nothing...!

matreshka
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 6:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I hear ya.  It seems here that if you are in the wrong you get free legal aid, bu t if you have to persue justice you gotta pay $$$

Quoting ilovemykids732:

Yeah... in Western Mass there is almost nothing... I am looking for a 'cheap' divorce lawyer... and am finding nothing...!

AmyD43
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 6:29 PM
We evicted a tenant it took us 3 months but we did it ourselves. Housing court in mass is easy to navigate.

Go to police station get as many police reports as you can. If they say you can't have the ones you are not involved in explain the situation. They can give you every single time the police were called to that address. They block out names though. Bring those with you. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)