Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

cell phones?

Posted by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 9:04 PM
  • 24 Replies
We are thinking about getting a new cell phone carrier, right now dh has att with his dad, I have sprint with my mom. We want to get Celeste a cell for Christmas, just a basic one to be able to talk to me and dh cause she spends a lot of time with her gp's. I researched and att has the best phones for $171 / mo, sprint has the best price at $169/ mo with OK phones, and Verizon has unlimited talk and text plan with the best prices on phones for $198/ mo. So with similar pricing, I was wondering everyone's thoughts on the actual carriers? Both att and Verizon have parents control options, too, which I would want. What would you go with?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 9:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Stacie03
by Silver Member on Sep. 22, 2012 at 10:06 PM
Since you've narrowed it down to At&T or Verison pretty much because of the features...if the price difference truely doesn't matter to you I'd go with which ever had the best coverage of the two.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ank_mom2be
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 10:08 PM
I'd go with coverage, too. I don't care for AT&T, so I'd go with Verizon or Sprint to be honest.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Sep. 22, 2012 at 10:15 PM
Verizon. I have had them for 6 yrs and LOVE them. Their cust svc has always been great and for that alone I will pay a little more. I have 5 lines and only pay 150... but I only have internet on my line. The kids just have basic phones. We share 700 anytime but have unlimited text which we use a lot of. Almost all my family is Verizon so mobile to mobile is free anyway.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
taniamorse85
by Bronze Member on Sep. 22, 2012 at 10:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Verizon, hands down.  I have had them for the entire seven years I've had a cell phone, and I doubt I will ever switch carriers.  I've never had a dropped call, the call quality is great, and customer service is awesome.

3cutiebugs
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 10:59 PM
I wish we could get lower minutes! But dh doesn't text, and I doubt Celeste would much since we'd just get her a basic flip phone

Quoting conniejo75:

Verizon. I have had them for 6 yrs and LOVE them. Their cust svc has always been great and for that alone I will pay a little more. I have 5 lines and only pay 150... but I only have internet on my line. The kids just have basic phones. We share 700 anytime but have unlimited text which we use a lot of. Almost all my family is Verizon so mobile to mobile is free anyway.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chrissysnow22
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 3:26 AM
Verizon had the best coverage for me but I hated their rates. I have sprint now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
a_and_j_momma
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 3:44 AM
I have Verizon unlimited talk and text and 4GB of data w/sharing and have 2 lines for $130. Why was your quote so expensive
AmyD43
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 4:01 AM
1 mom liked this
Why not just get her a prepaid tracphone if you are getting her a flip phone? My ds has one and he's lost it. Phones cost $10-20 and there is no contract. If she looses it just get another for $10 if she looses or breaks one with contract you will pay a lot!

Quoting 3cutiebugs:

I wish we could get lower minutes! But dh doesn't text, and I doubt Celeste would much since we'd just get her a basic flip phone

Quoting conniejo75:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matreshka
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 9:44 AM

We used to do verizon before It skyrocketed in price. Here in the north east they have good coverage. When I had sprint in Calif. they would double bill me every month.

I am happy with my virgin mobile phone and it is half the cost of a plan.

3cutiebugs
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 11:02 AM
This is a good point. I think I will look into that, too. The main reason we were looking into plans is because dh and I both have kinda crappy older phones, but really it's not a necessity to get new ones...

Quoting AmyD43:

Why not just get her a prepaid tracphone if you are getting her a flip phone? My ds has one and he's lost it. Phones cost $10-20 and there is no contract. If she looses it just get another for $10 if she looses or breaks one with contract you will pay a lot!

Quoting 3cutiebugs:

Quoting conniejo75:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)