Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

I broke down my expenses...

Posted by   + Show Post
....and then I broke down!!!

I have been saving my receipts for the past month. I decide to go through them, and my bank account. It turned into me auditing our expenses for the past 3 months.

Let me just say, that I know we had been eating out too much. But in August, we spent .....and I can't believe I am telling you guys this.....$418. I feel so ashamed. That isn't even counting the $80 dh spent on lunch at work for the month. Granted, we did have company, for 2 weeks in August, but still.

July wasn't much better. I spent $658 on grocery and $243 on eating out. Dh spent $53 on lunch at work.

I broke down ALL of our other expenses as well. Clothes, gas, cash withdrawals, etc.

It has been an eye opener. I am now more motivated than ever to cut our spending.

Why haven't I done this sooner?!?

Just sharing because I am wanting to stop fooling myself about our spending habits. My spending habits.

Have you broken down your expenses?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 3:13 PM
Replies (11-20):
pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 4:58 PM

I save my grocery store reciepts for the year.  Then total them up.  I has gotten me to think about what I buy.

lillucky8
by Jen on Sep. 23, 2012 at 5:08 PM
1 mom liked this
We dont currently have much left after bills so we dont eat out while im not working unless someone else is paying (i got gcs for.my bday) but when im.working we usually do fri night dinner n a movie and dont spend more than $20. We rarely eat out at a restaurant and i always use a coupon if we do. I prefer to make food at home, especially bc i agonize over the fact that instead of paying $20 for a meal each i can make it for under $5 so its hard for me to eat at a restaurant now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Diamondblue1
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 5:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Hey it's a start and now you can save more money and know what to look out for
aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Sep. 23, 2012 at 6:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Great move! It helps to see where are the areas to cut down.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iamcafemom83
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 6:49 PM
This is how i would like to be.
I know it's going to be a bit of a
Fight with my husband as far as packing a lunch and getting him on board.
I am hoping if I just stick with it, he will follow my lead.

Quoting lillucky8:

We dont currently have much left after bills so we dont eat out while im not working unless someone else is paying (i got gcs for.my bday) but when im.working we usually do fri night dinner n a movie and dont spend more than $20. We rarely eat out at a restaurant and i always use a coupon if we do. I prefer to make food at home, especially bc i agonize over the fact that instead of paying $20 for a meal each i can make it for under $5 so its hard for me to eat at a restaurant now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iamcafemom83
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 6:51 PM
Thanks, diamond. I am certainly motivated now.

Quoting Diamondblue1:

Hey it's a start and now you can save more money and know what to look out for
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matreshka
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Well, the good news id you are finally doing it.  Facing that kind of expansies is scray but it give s you a starting point on where to cut back.

<y advice. give your self a small amount of wiglle room, it s hard to make drastic changes, its easier to do them gradually so they stick.

Idntreallycare
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 7:04 PM
My husband does, and then tells me to stop shopping.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Sep. 23, 2012 at 9:35 PM

I know what I spend because I only pay cash...it helps me out a TON! It really is a eye opener to break down expenses!!!

iamcafemom83
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2012 at 6:52 AM
We were on a cash diet for a minute and I really liked it. Do you pay most of your bills in cash or do you do it just for grocery and spending money?

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

I know what I spend because I only pay cash...it helps me out a TON! It really is a eye opener to break down expenses!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)