Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

I broke down my expenses...

Posted by   + Show Post
....and then I broke down!!!

I have been saving my receipts for the past month. I decide to go through them, and my bank account. It turned into me auditing our expenses for the past 3 months.

Let me just say, that I know we had been eating out too much. But in August, we spent .....and I can't believe I am telling you guys this.....$418. I feel so ashamed. That isn't even counting the $80 dh spent on lunch at work for the month. Granted, we did have company, for 2 weeks in August, but still.

July wasn't much better. I spent $658 on grocery and $243 on eating out. Dh spent $53 on lunch at work.

I broke down ALL of our other expenses as well. Clothes, gas, cash withdrawals, etc.

It has been an eye opener. I am now more motivated than ever to cut our spending.

Why haven't I done this sooner?!?

Just sharing because I am wanting to stop fooling myself about our spending habits. My spending habits.

Have you broken down your expenses?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 3:13 PM
Replies (21-30):
AmyD43
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 7:10 AM
Mint.com
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
specialwingz
by Corey on Sep. 24, 2012 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I have always broken down the expenses.  I start with 2 lists.  Wants and needs.  Then, prioritize the items on the 2 lists.  The needs are provided for and the wants are saved for.  Eating out is a luxury (or not, depending on where one goes) that only happens maybe once every other month.  Sometimes not even that.

KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Sep. 24, 2012 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I pay all of our bills with my checking account. I only put what covers bills in there, maybe an extra $10. EVERYTHING else is cash only. Groceries, gas, fun stuff, everything. I put all of my lose change in an old water jug and right before payday, I add whatever few dollars I have left, if any, from the last check. I said I'd cash it in last year for DD's birthday party and didn't need to. So I still add to it. I'm thinking of getting us a zoo membership once I think there's enough in there.

Quoting iamcafemom83:

We were on a cash diet for a minute and I really liked it. Do you pay most of your bills in cash or do you do it just for grocery and spending money?

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

I know what I spend because I only pay cash...it helps me out a TON! It really is a eye opener to break down expenses!!!

iamcafemom83
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2012 at 4:40 PM
That's what we were doing before. I'd really like to go back to that. My main goal is to pay it all off and jump start our savings. Our poor savings acct!:(

Zoo membership is an excellent idea! I wanted to do that too, but never had the money, lol...now I know why.

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

I pay all of our bills with my checking account. I only put what covers bills in there, maybe an extra $10. EVERYTHING else is cash only. Groceries, gas, fun stuff, everything. I put all of my lose change in an old water jug and right before payday, I add whatever few dollars I have left, if any, from the last check. I said I'd cash it in last year for DD's birthday party and didn't need to. So I still add to it. I'm thinking of getting us a zoo membership once I think there's enough in there.

Quoting iamcafemom83:

We were on a cash diet for a minute and I really liked it. Do you pay most of your bills in cash or do you do it just for grocery and spending money?

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

I know what I spend because I only pay cash...it helps me out a TON! It really is a eye opener to break down expenses!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iamcafemom83
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2012 at 4:42 PM
That is probably a good motivator to have a goal to save for. Also makes you really think about the purchase, too, I imagine.

Quoting specialwingz:

I have always broken down the expenses.  I start with 2 lists.  Wants and needs.  Then, prioritize the items on the 2 lists.  The needs are provided for and the wants are saved for.  Eating out is a luxury (or not, depending on where one goes) that only happens maybe once every other month.  Sometimes not even that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AzariahsMother
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 4:47 PM

I have not broken it down, but look at my Spending Report on Wells Fargo Online often, and sometimes I am shocked to see the totals, and other times I am like way to go that was down compared to last month.

KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Sep. 24, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Small steps can mean great acheivements so keep your eye on the prize!! It helps to write a budget a few months or more in advance. When I do this, and check in on it often to make sure I'm on track, I can see the goal and what we'll have at the end, and it makes all the little sacrifices along the way worth it.

We used to have a membership but DD was a baby. I want to get one before the next baby comes so we can still get outta the house and do fun stuff.

Quoting iamcafemom83:

That's what we were doing before. I'd really like to go back to that. My main goal is to pay it all off and jump start our savings. Our poor savings acct!:(

Zoo membership is an excellent idea! I wanted to do that too, but never had the money, lol...now I know why.

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Quoting iamcafemom83:

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

JohnnyCakes
by Member on Sep. 24, 2012 at 5:01 PM

I did, it's been a year and a half now and I was also mortified at the amount of money we were blowing on silly things! Ever since then, we've doubled what we put in savings every month, and still have money left over. Even my DH was like, dang, I'm not drinking pop anymore, lol! 

JohnnyCakes
by Member on Sep. 24, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Thanks to the spending report on WF, I realized I spend WAAAAAAAAY too much money at Target :) I wish they would change it (it's been awhile, maybe they did) so you could move transactions to different categories - I buy quite a bit of groceries at Target and Walmart but it'd report as household/retail. 

Quoting AzariahsMother:

I have not broken it down, but look at my Spending Report on Wells Fargo Online often, and sometimes I am shocked to see the totals, and other times I am like way to go that was down compared to last month.

JohnnyCakes
by Member on Sep. 24, 2012 at 5:16 PM

I don't know where you are from but in my area you can check out passes at the library for the zoo, aquarium, children's museum, all kinds of cool places for families. A few years ago we qualified for a grant for free membership to the science museum and discounted rates for the exhibits and stuff, I don't know if they still do that or not or if they do it in your area's but it might be worth looking into! We did end up buying a zoo membership this year and it was $110ish, sooo pretty much paid for itself in 2 visits. Money well spent :)

Quoting iamcafemom83:

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Quoting iamcafemom83:

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN